• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what can i do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjamm1972

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? illinois
back in 1992 my husband and i divorced. we had joint custody of our daughter...i agreed to pay him child support because he had her for about a year so i could get through school and get my life together. i was only 18 at the time and dumb as hell. After a year, my daughter came to live with me..and my ex moved to florida, where he still resides...she was 3 then..she is 19 now. She has lived with me for all those years...i have school records, church records, etc., what i did not know is that all those years, public aid was charging me child support. so now they say i owe an astounding amount of money. is there anything i can do? can i go to court to show that she lived with me all those years and that her dad was in florida..not paying me child support by the way. I have now got letters where they are gonna garnish my wages. Please help.All answers are greatly appreciated,thanx

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
back in 1992 my husband and i divorced. we had joint custody of our daughter...i agreed to pay him child support because he had her for about a year so i could get through school and get my life together. i was only 18 at the time and dumb as hell. After a year, my daughter came to live with me..and my ex moved to florida, where he still resides...she was 3 then..she is 19 now. She has lived with me for all those years...i have school records, church records, etc., what i did not know is that all those years, public aid was charging me child support. so now they say i owe an astounding amount of money. is there anything i can do? can i go to court to show that she lived with me all those years and that her dad was in florida..not paying me child support by the way. I have now got letters where they are gonna garnish my wages. Please help.All answers are greatly appreciated,thanx
So you never stopped the COURT ORDER for child support?

Proserpina

How did you not know that? :confused:

LdiJ

How did you not know that? :confused:
There is something strange going on here and it may be that mom simply isn't using the right terminology, but still...

If dad was on public aid during the year that dad had the child, and that is how child support got set up, it seems a bit odd that they would wait for 16 years to pursue anything. Even if it was a regular child support order I still don't see why they would wait 16 years to pursue anything, and to do it after the child was an adult.

I hope dad wasn't defrauding the government by collecting aid for 16 years for a child that wasn't living with hiim.

Proserpina

There is something strange going on here and it may be that mom simply isn't using the right terminology, but still...

If dad was on public aid during the year that dad had the child, and that is how child support got set up, it seems a bit odd that they would wait for 16 years to pursue anything. Even if it was a regular child support order I still don't see why they would wait 16 years to pursue anything, and to do it after the child was an adult.

I hope dad wasn't defrauding the government by collecting aid for 16 years for a child that wasn't living with hiim.
I'm not sure if this is even relevant but I'm confused as all heck to start with:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/workplace-injuries-worker-s-compensation-32/need-help-immediatly-491726.html

(yes I realize each thread is discussing a different child but still...)

bjamm1972

i did not know because i have never heard from anyone about the child support for years. of course, i would have stopped the child support order, if i would have known. so, that being said, does anyone have any answers for me? is there anything i can do about this, or will i have to pay even though my daughter lived with me all those years?

Proserpina

i did not know because i have never heard from anyone about the child support for years. of course, i would have stopped the child support order, if i would have known. so, that being said, does anyone have any answers for me? is there anything i can do about this, or will i have to pay even though my daughter lived with me all those years?
WHO exactly is demanding child support repayments?

You can ask them for an accounting to show you exactly where and when the amounts were building up.

How much contact did you have with Dad over these years? Was he on public assistance?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">