• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Coffee benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LUCY88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
I work for a company that has(for the past 12 years) purchased coffee for the employees. When companies started shutting down our company made some decision on cutting costs and one of them was rashining out the coffee. The union said that they could not do that it was against the NLRB regulations. Since, the greivance meeting the comapny has posted a bulletin saying that they will revisit this issue in 6 months. Can they stop buying it all together now, that they have posted that announcement. The employees have taken down the announcement but, it was posted.

LeeHarveyBlotto

It would be sad for the stakeholders but karma for the complaining employees if the place went into the dumper and these idiots lost their jobs.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is determined ENTIRELY by your union contract. NO law makes it mandatory for the company to buy coffee for the employees even if they have done so since the year one.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
If this is the same union rep that said an employee who was caught stealing was wrongfully terminated because "he didn't steal enough to be terminated", you guys need a new union rep.

justalayman

same union and by the way the company won over the theft, Thank god someone has some sense:)
apparently not enough. Previous practice is not going to apply to furnishing you with coffee. While previous practice is a very strong support is certain situations, providing coffee is not going to be in that list.

It sounds like your union, or at least this rep, really needs to go back to school about union rules, the NLRB, and employer and employee rights.

I can actually make a better argument for the "didn't steal enough to be terminated" depending on the totality of the situation than I could for a required coffee argument.

Now, when production drops because of the lack of company provided caffeine, come on back because the employees actually have an arguable position for a lower level of production due to the company removing the stimulant that allowed the production levels they currently see but is another issue for another day.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Please, if employees don't get their coffee at work they will either start bringing ground coffee in themselves, or they will stop at McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts on the way in, or they will make the coffee for themselves at home. People will get their caffeine fix when they need it, no matter how they get it or where or how much it costs.

pattytx

I cannot believe there is such a big deal being made about this. Sheesh, employee, it's COFFEE! Would you rather be unemployed? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

justalayman

I cannot believe there is such a big deal being made about this. Sheesh, employee, it's COFFEE! Would you rather be unemployed? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Hey, it's those damn union guys.

signed,

justalayman

present member of IBEW
past member of with honorary withdrawal and remain member in good standing:

Teamsters
UAW
Retail Clerks Union
:D:D:D:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">