• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepchildren on insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

genalewis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My husband recently started a new job, and he has been court-ordered to carry insurance for his 2 children with his ex. Right now, we are on COBRA through his former employer.

His new employer will provide free insurance to only him after 60 days. However, to carry me and his children, it will be quite pricey. So what I thought about looking into is a non-employee-sponsored plan for myself and trying to carry my stepchildren on my policy. Do you know of any carriers that allow this, or is this something that is never allowed if the biological parent is not on the plan?

His job loss has been such a tremendous headache for us, so I appreciate any answers that might make it a bit easier!

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My husband recently started a new job, and he has been court-ordered to carry insurance for his 2 children with his ex. Right now, we are on COBRA through his former employer.

His new employer will provide free insurance to only him after 60 days. However, to carry me and his children, it will be quite pricey. So what I thought about looking into is a non-employee-sponsored plan for myself and trying to carry my stepchildren on my policy. Do you know of any carriers that allow this, or is this something that is never allowed if the biological parent is not on the plan?

His job loss has been such a tremendous headache for us, so I appreciate any answers that might make it a bit easier!
some carriers DO allow this. as long as you prove the children do in fact live in the household. and that you are married to one of the parents.

the other alternative is mom carrying the insurance and dad paying the difference to mom.

genalewis

The children spend approximately half their time with us, but their mother has physical custody. So, unfortunately, it sounds like this option will not work for us.

Thank you for your prompt response!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">