• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bedbugs from a hotel chain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LUCY88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
I stayed at a big hotel chain in September. Upon leaving I had bites on me and the hotel manager took one of the night's stay off the bill. The next day when I woke up these bites had swollen into like blisters and were all over my body. 3 doctor visits and blood tests and antibotics for the itching they are finally gone. Can I sue for the costs of the medical? If so, how long do I have to do that?

Antigone*

I stayed at a big hotel chain in September. Upon leaving I had bites on me and the hotel manager took one of the night's stay off the bill. The next day when I woke up these bites had swollen into like blisters and were all over my body. 3 doctor visits and blood tests and antibotics for the itching they are finally gone. Can I sue for the costs of the medical? If so, how long do I have to do that?
So how much did this cost you out of pocket?

NikkiLee

Sue! At the end of the day nobody should suffer that when they stay at a hotel! I hope this works out for as you deserve that money back! Does the hotel have a formal complaints procedure that you have contacted? Invoice them for $150 if nothing else! But seek legal advice as you may be able to find some invaluable information.

Oh my..

Did you carry them home? Did they infest your house/apt.? I had gottenthem also but it was due to my next door neighbor having them and my Landlady didn't comply with the law which states you have to inform your neighbors beside and above and below you. Around 4-5 weeks later I was having up to this time itching, swelling, stress and didn't know why? I did find a couple bites on me but I thougth I had incountered spider bites so I called my brother up and he brought spray and sprayed my entire apt. Then later it all started happening again and I went to the hospital and the ER Doctor admitted me for a two day stay. Ruleing out heart he didn't have much else to go on except ruled it as itching, swelling breaking out and stress. My son came over and spend some time with me making sure I was ok and he slept on my couch which he broke out getting worse each day/night he stayed. I couldn;t figure it out and started doing some research cause I had mentioned to him my neighbor had bedbugs surely I don't have them? After bout 6 hours of research I REALIZED I must have them. This was about the 4 day and I sent him home, he was a mess he had over 30 bites on him. He had to end up getting medical attention from the bites man I never in my life ever seen any thing to be so bad. They didn't bite me like they did him his turned into bigger than a golf ball with infection and sore and blood red.

This ended up being the worse mess I ever in my life been through. I lived in govt. housing because I had become disabled and been waiting for my disability and had no where else to live. The landlady done everything possible to me she could even going saying I just saying all this to get a insurance check ( at one time I had renters insureance but at this time I didn't) I guess she thought I still did and that is why she was telling everyone that? I lost everything I had in cloth materials and end up moving which cost me all together 3000.00 now my rent here is more and my utilites are more and it is a mess. She called me names she told lies on me, she even told one tenant personal business of mine which I didn't want told. I got that on tape. I also have pictures of everything from the load of my stuff on the truck to the skin falling off my feet where I guess the spray they sprayed got on my feet from walking around in the apt. I had sandles on, but must had gotten on them anyway. The company said the spray wouldn't hurt me.. hummm wonders why then the skin fell off?? I got my disability on a chemical lung and they wanted me to lay in chemicals theywould come back and spray every month for 4-5 months. So I told them and let the bugs hatch each month you spray and you want me to live like this. I don't think so, so I got in touch with the Got. program in Frankfort, KY and they got me moved out of there and into a voucher program in another county. I still don't have a couch, I did buy some box and mattress for my bed, but they where to long and they did come with rails so I put them into the spare room and been sleeping in there. I am under doctors care for all this my nerves are gone. I cannot sleep without a light on, I itch all the time, I cut the box new springs and looked inside I take the covers off my bed each night before I go in. What clothes I managed to save from drying them in a hot dryer shrunk them up and no longer fit. The list goes on and on. The building is still infested so bad I am sure in time it will be closed. The landlady even slapped this one lady over talking about the bugs, she had them 5 times worse than I did.

I am on disability and only have that income and live by myself, This has put me in such a financial bind that I am seeking some part time work I promise you I am not even able to work. I am on oxygen, nebulizer machine, and all kinds of other meds which make me dizzy,sleepy, and such. I am not a well person and am not sure about how this is gonna work out for me working and beside that, they will take away my ssi $5.00 which entitles me to get a medical card. I am on so many meds there is now way I can afford this. The landlady sure has put me into a mind here and no way out. She was noncompliant and I suffer !!! At times I have lost my Christian values being so upset and jsut mad at times. I am just now getting settled into my new place and after the loan I borrowed and the rent I pay I have 150.00 left over to pay my electric/water/sewer. I cannot even get car insurance right now !! I don't know what i am going to do. SO YEAH SUE !!!!!!!!!!! Wish I could but I have talked to so many lawyers and no one is willing to help me.. Oh and by the way, the landlady didn't report my neighbor's infestation to the health office untill I went up there and raised cane !! So much more to this story and I have so many documentation on all and still no one will help me. I shouldn't have been put into this situation in my life when it was a non compliance issue. So again.. SUE!!

I am reading this right aren't I? This person ask a question.. Can I sue for medical cost?????

reimbursement

Sue for what? OP hasn't even ASKED for reimbursement yet :rolleyes:
I did ask for reimbursement, verbally and turned down. Should I do it again in letter form, then if they say no, what then when no one wants to take this case! I am sorry you or no one knows what this is like until you go through it. It is terrible and mind altering as well. I may just have to take the lose and go on which I am trying to do, but it is sometimes over whelming to say the least ! I lost do much even heirlooms !

CJane

I am reading this right aren't I? This person ask a question.. Can I sue for medical cost?????
The correct answer is that before SUING, the person should CONTACT the hotel, EXPLAIN what happened and REQUEST reimbursement for OUT OF POCKET expenses (those not covered by health insurance).

IF the hotel does NOT pay those expenses (only $150) then OP COULD sue, but the cost of doing so would far outweigh actual expenses.

CJane

I did ask for reimbursement, verbally and turned down. Should I do it again in letter form, then if they say no, what then when no one wants to take this case! I am sorry you or no one knows what this is like until you go through it. It is terrible and mind altering as well. I may just have to take the lose and go on which I am trying to do, but it is sometimes over whelming to say the least ! I lost do much even heirlooms !
This thread is not ABOUT you.

Start YOUR OWN thread.

your right

This thread is not ABOUT you.

Start YOUR OWN thread.
Your right this thread isn't about me I guess I got carried away on the issue of bedbugs. Sorry didn't want to upset anyone so if you please look over my overwhelming hands.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">