• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking tickets in Homestead, Pennsylvania

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

badd302

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Homestead, Pennsylvania has a state highway going right through the center of town. I think it is 885, not sure, but I think so. Anyway, I do understand how Philly who has the parking AUTHORITY, as they do have proprietary capacity and actually own the streets in Philly, therefore allowing them the ability to give parking tickets. But Homestead obviously does not own the state highway that goes right through their town.

How do they have the right to give parking tickets on a street they do not own?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Homestead, Pennsylvania has a state highway going right through the center of town. I think it is 885, not sure, but I think so. Anyway, I do understand how Philly who has the parking AUTHORITY, as they do have proprietary capacity and actually own the streets in Philly, therefore allowing them the ability to give parking tickets. But Homestead obviously does not own the state highway that goes right through their town.

How do they have the right to give parking tickets on a street they do not own?
The Parking Authority doesn't own ANY streets ANYWHERE.

racer72

You have misunderstood the difference between state highways and municiple roadways. As far as ownership, the residents of Pennsylvania own all the public roads. The state highway was built by the state (using taxes paid by all state residents) to serve multiple jurisdictions, this provides for a uniform roadway across these jurisdictions. The local jurisdictions maintain the authority to enforce the traffic laws of these roadways though. In many cases, the local jurisdiction can also revise the speed limit and other traffic control laws of the state highway within their jurisdiction too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">