• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

badticker9

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio
i work for a large snack food co.i was told by supervisor that i would not receive health benefits this year because i did not reach 1499 hrs in calender year.i have over 1600 hrs but they will not consider overtime hrs as part of the equation.the contract in the union office says 1499 hrs in a calender year.the union reps will not explain only saying its your company thats at fault.

ecmst12

You need to know the actual policy language. If the guideline is hours worked, I don't think it should mattter whether they are straight hours or overtime hours, but if that's what the policy says, that's what it says.

pattytx

OP, ask for a copy of the Summary Plan Document for the plan; the employer is required to provide you one upon request.

What does your union say?

Last edited by a moderator:

rppearso

Legal, as in what the laws ARE, not what individual posters think they should be.
Last time I checked health care reform was not my unique individual opinion of what laws should be but a very relavant national issue of which cases like this are part of the problem. I agree she needs to check with her union but if the union upholds her employer she is pretty much screwed and thats the problem.

pattytx

There is a Legal Lounge forum on this site to debate such issues. Your opinion is not helping the poster.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The problem is that the purpose of this forum is not for you to debate what you think the laws ought to be,(no matter how many others share your opinion) but to provide actual information on what the laws ARE.

This is neither a chat room nor a blog. You are welcome to discuss the issue of health care reform to your hearts' content on one of them. But not here.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am curious - did you actually WORK 1,600+ hrs, or did you work less than 1,499 and get paid for over 1,600?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">