• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual Harassment At Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justice7

california

My co-worker experienced this the whole first 3 weeks of work. She's been in the company now for almost 2 months. It involved touching, grabbing her chest, touching her inner thighs, kissing, etc. At one point during my first week, the employer attempted once and caressed my butt.

My question is, will the employer be liable for this one occasion with me? The incident wasn't even just a pat or a slap, it was really "caressing" my rear. I feel that he does this to every girl and if not because he found out I'm married, he probably wouldn't have stopped.

Appreciate your kind advice and help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not having a crystal ball, no one here has any idea what your employer will be "found liable" for. But unless you, or someone, has reported this, preferably up the ladder to HR (it is always better to resolve it internally first) or ultimately to the EEOC, nothing is going to change, and he will not be "found liable" for anything at all.

justice7

I apologize for any inability to use correct terminology.

We didn't have any structure in that company, thus no HR department.

So you're saying, we need to have these departments first to be able to get some justice from these offensive acts from the employer?

Thanks so much.

cyjeff

I apologize for any inability to use correct terminology.

We didn't have any structure in that company, thus no HR department.

So you're saying, we need to have these departments first to be able to get some justice from these offensive acts from the employer?

Thanks so much.
Then you bring it to the owner of the company.

then you file with the EEOC. You MUST try an internal fix before you go to the EEOC.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Minor correction.

The law does not prohibit you from going to the EEOC without making an attempt to resolve it internally, but it can in many cases substantially weaken your claim if you do not.

csi7

How many employees are in the company? How is the management structure set up? If the management is single business owner and manager, the best way to prove that you have tried to handle the matter internally is to do a written letter. Along with EEOC, there should be at least one or two more agencies available to provide guidance. Commission on Human Relations or an agency named similar to that in your state. You also have the avenue of talking privately to a criminal investigator to review the case. Take a hard look at the questions on the complaint form to determine where your facts are, what information is missing, and how to fill in the missing blanks.

justice7

It comprises of around 20 employees, excluding sewers, cutters and shipping. No HR and everything must go directly to owner himself (offender).

I've already quit this job mid last week and my co-worker will leave Tuesday next week. Do we still have a chance?

Thanks so much.

Isis1

It comprises of around 20 employees, excluding sewers, cutters and shipping. No HR and everything must go directly to owner himself (offender).

I've already quit this job mid last week and my co-worker will leave Tuesday next week. Do we still have a chance?

Thanks so much.
if your co-worker feels sexually harrassed, she needs to report it to the proper authorities.

you really don't have a chance at anything since your not involved.

justice7

I'm not clear on why you're saying "i'm not involved". That's the whole point of why I posted this question because I got harassed once. If you're saying one incident doesn't count, then I would understand.

Isis1

I'm not clear on why you're saying "i'm not involved". That's the whole point of why I posted this question because I got harassed once. If you're saying one incident doesn't count, then I would understand.
when did your sexual harrassment occur? what did you do about it? did you report it at the time?

pattytx

Relative to you, OP, it happened to you once and has not happened again. The harrassment has stopped and even if you DID have a claim, that is all the law requires happen, that the harrassment stop.

Relative to your friend, you say this happened in the first three weeks she was employed. Has he stopped touching her also? Does she have another job to go to?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">