• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal help with in-state residency in N.C.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

manas

Hi,

I am a resident of Texas and would like to avail in-state tuition for my coursework starting next fall. I know that I will need to move to N.C., setup my residence there, change my license and car registration, if possible work in N.C. and so on.

Is there some law firm that will help me do all this without me having to physically move my family to N.C.?

Please let me know if you could help me.

moburkes

Hi,

I am a resident of Texas and would like to avail in-state tuition for my coursework starting next fall. I know that I will need to move to N.C., setup my residence there, change my license and car registration, if possible work in N.C. and so on.

Is there some law firm that will help me do all this without me having to physically move my family to N.C.?

Please let me know if you could help me.
It won't work. People have been trying to do this since the beginning of time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Reputable attorneys do not troll message boards looking for clients.

Nor do you even need an attorney. If you move to NC and meet the requirements for in-state tuition you will get it; if you don't, you won't. It's not something you need an attorney for.

There is no possible way to qualify for in-state tuition if you are not living in the state in question.

FlyingRon

As mo points out, State requires you to have lived here a year first (unlike other states like NJ, you can pay the out of state tuition for that year, and then if you qualify after a year, switch to in-state).

You need a year-round residence first. The DMV will not issue you a license without that. It's also a prerequisite of many of the other yardsticks they show you (though you can register vehicles, and pay property tax on them without being a resident, the state is quite willing to let you do that as a "foreigner").

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">