• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will Changing hospitals void any coverage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Miha

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA.

Can any health benefits be denied if a patients leaves, on his own accord, one hospital, due to not getting proper treatment for his condition and admits himself into a hospital that is better qualified to treat him? There is a Blue Cross (primary) in force as well as an Aflac (supplemental) policy in force.

Thank you

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA.

Can any health benefits be denied if a patients leaves, on his own accord, one hospital, due to not getting proper treatment for his condition and admits himself into a hospital that is better qualified to treat him? There is a Blue Cross (primary) in force as well as an Aflac (supplemental) policy in force.

Thank you
Of course coverage can be denied.

but of course it would help if you could define "not getting proper treatment", you know?

Miha

My dad went to have an outpatient procedure done to help manage the pain he was experiencing around the back of his abdomen at said hospital, but was admitted instead due to low blood pressure (which has still yet to be explained). That was 12 days ago. Since then, he has gotten a Staph infection (MRSA), which is being treated with Vancomycin (which has shown to be a disapointment and less effective in combating this strain as original thought), diagnosed with Retropertoneal Fibrosis (Dr has yet to address us with this finding) and to make matters worse, is still recovering from a very invasive and painful surgery he had in Nov. to remove some of his colon. There are three Dr.s assigned to address each issue but not one of them has yet to make any contact with my mom or me since he was admitted. We call and leave messages, but have yet to speak to any of them on the phone. We wait to speak to them at the hospital, only to be blown off due to being busy with other patients. Any info we have gotten is from whatever nurse is on duty and it's not much. I was even told by one of them that she could not dicuss the RF with me or my mom, only the dr could. When asked why, she said she just couldn't. But she will get the dr to come speak to us. That was last week. And we are still waiting to see him. The nurses just keep telling us that he is fine, just confused today, that's all. Gee, I wonder why? Could it be the abscene amount of Oxyicoton he is getting 4x a day to help with the moderate pain! THIS MAKES IT IMPOSSIBLE TO GET ANY STRAIGHT ANSWERS FROM MY DAD. He doesn't even know if its day or night when we see him because he is all jacked up on this crazy pain med. All three of us are tired of none or little results and the complete lack of respect and compassion that thes MF'ing dr.'s are displaying to us. How dare they not communicate to the family of their patient with their findings/treatments on these very serious problems! So, I have done some research and I found the only Dr in California who specializing in treating RF. He is located at Scripps Hospital in La Jolla which is only 1 1/2 hrs from our house. We want my dad to get better and we think that transferring him to another hospital will do that. He beat Bladder Cancer last year and I would hate for that to be all for not because of some douchbag drs. who don't care.

I hope this give you a better perspective on my question. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and expertise in this matter.

ecmst12

He would need to go through proper medical channels to get a transfer to a different hospital. He can't simply leave against medical advice - his insurance probably WILL deny coverage if he does that.

Your mom needs to schedule a meeting with his doctor to get more information about his condition.

lealea1005

Has your Father given the medical staff permission to discuss his medical treatment/records with you or your Mother?

To answer your question...yes, your insurance can, and probably will deny payment if your Father leaves the hospital against medical advice.

ecmst12

If the patient isn't able to make decisions or participate in his treatment wouldn't the spouse automatically have POA if no formal POA exists?

lealea1005

If the patient isn't able to make decisions or participate in his treatment wouldn't the spouse automatically have POA if no formal POA exists?

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it's just seems to be OP opinion that her father is "jacked up" on meds.

OP's statements below leads me to think that there may have been previous discussion between the patient and his Physicians regarding who is permitted to obtain information.

...diagnosed with Retropertoneal Fibrosis (Dr has yet to address us with this finding)
...still recovering from a very invasive and painful surgery he had in Nov. to remove some of his colon. There are three Dr.s assigned to address each issue but not one of them has yet to make any contact with my mom or me since he was admitted. We call and leave messages, but have yet to speak to any of them on the phone.
Again, I can be reading too much into it. If I'm wrong I'm sure OP will come back and tell me so. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">