• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tvaughn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Pennsylvania

An employee who was hard to manage recently got upset and gave us a sticky note with his two week notice. Later in the day he stated he didn't want to quit, but we told him we accepted his notice and he was asked to leave. We paid him out for the full two weeks plus all vacation. He has filed for unemployment benefits and we are wondering if it is worth fighting given the circumstances. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

mlane58

All you can do is reply to the state of PA unemployment division and tell them exactly what happened. They will make the determination as to whether the ex-employee recieves benefits.

JETX

we are wondering if it is worth fighting given the circumstances.
How in the world would WE, who know NOTHING about how you determine 'worth', know the answer??

It is like me asking you if you like my new car??

commentator

If the employee quit in the midst of a termination procedure, that would cloud the issue a little bit. You might have to go into the reasons you were going to terminate. But if he quit when he was not in the office being terminated, it's considered a voluntary quit of his own choice. Is it worth it to fight this? Probably. The unemployment system is set up so that it is not terribly difficult to protest a person's receiving benefits. And when someone does receive benefits, it hurts the experience rating of the company, eventually its bottom line.

What will happen is that you will be contacted by the unemployment office, asked what the circumstances were that led to this person's being unemployed. You will need to very honestly answer that the person voluntarily quit, giving you two weeks notice, and then later came back in and tried to rescind the notice and get their job back. You opted not to give the job back. You do not have to mention any reason for this decision. It was the personal choice of this person to resign. They would have to prove, to be approved for benefits, that they had a good, job related reason to resign. A really serious reason, not just "I was being disciplined" or "I got mad at my supervisor." A reason like being subjected to sexual harrassment, or having a paycheck that wouldn't clear the bank, or being assaulted on the job by a belligerant co- worker. A really good job related reason.

Unemployment is not designed to pay people who just decided they couldn't take it, or they were having stress at home, or they didn't like their job, they got their feelings hurt somehow, so they quit. It is for people who are out of work through no fault of their own. If the company did not have any more work for them, or they were fired unjustly with no wrongdoing then you are determined eligible for unemployment. But this person quit, and then changed his mind about quitting. At this point you were under no obligation to give the job back.

This is what you should tell them. This does not take an attorney, a consulting agency, or even very much of your time. It's worth it, give the unemployment office the information they need. At some later point, you may receive notice that the person has appealed a denial and that you are requested to appear at a hearing testing the decision for the second time. This can be done over the phone. In any case, if you won the first one, you'd certainly present your material at the second hearing, making sure the person does not receive benefits because he quit your company by his own choice.

Last edited:

swalsh411

The unemployment office is going to ask you when the decision was made to accept his resignation. The key here is whether or not it was made before or after he said he wanted his job back.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The unemployment office is going to ask you when the decision was made to accept his resignation. The key here is whether or not it was made before or after he said he wanted his job back.
THAT is absolutely, posi-damn-tively false.

swalsh411

THAT is absolutely, posi-damn-tively false.
No it's not. I've read several decisions from multiple states where an employee resigned then wanted their job back and the timing of the decision on whether or not to accept that resignation was very important. I suppose I could spend hours trying to find them again to refute your claim but I'm not getting paid for this and I stand by what I said.

It is perhapes more accurate to say that it will likely be A factor not necessarily THE key factor.

commentator

Helloooo? He gave them a sticky note saying he resigned. He resigned at that point. Later that day, he may've come back in and said he'd changed his mind, asked for his job back, but he resigned. On paper. There's no issue about when they "decided to accept it" or not

There are many issues tied in with resignation, as I said previously, if someone resigns in the middle of the termination process, that's completely another story, but it sounds like, in this case, the guy lost his temper, put it in writing, and then decided to take it back (maybe after he talked to his wife or his attorney!) But all these people need to do is show the unemployment office that he came into the office at so and so and gave this note to them. Hey, he resigned by his own choice. You don't "decide to accept' a resignation. You don't have the option of refusing to let someone quit a job. Anyone can quit a job. It's that "at will" thing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Helloooo? He gave them a sticky note saying he resigned. He resigned at that point. Later that day, he may've come back in and said he'd changed his mind, asked for his job back, but he resigned. On paper. There's no issue about when they "decided to accept it" or not

There are many issues tied in with resignation, as I said previously, if someone resigns in the middle of the termination process, that's completely another story, but it sounds like, in this case, the guy lost his temper, put it in writing, and then decided to take it back (maybe after he talked to his wife or his attorney!) But all these people need to do is show the unemployment office that he came into the office at so and so and gave this note to them. Hey, he resigned by his own choice. You don't "decide to accept' a resignation. You don't have the option of refusing to let someone quit a job. Anyone can quit a job. It's that "at will" thing.
But But But - Swalsh says it's different! :rolleyes:;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">