• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida - Does another's signature for a certified letter consitute receipt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BravoSix

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Briefly, I was sent a certified letter by a state agency in Florida to my residence in Pennsylvania. It's not really a legal process, just a notification that I was eligible for something. The letter was received in March 2005, and signed for by my wife. At the time, she and I were estranged. We have since reconciled and are living happily ever after.

I never did receive the actual letter, and she has no recollection of signing for it, although the state agency has a record of her signature. As a result, I am no longer eligible for what I had applied for.

So my question is, does her signing for the certified letter constitute receipt of the said letter by me, the addressee? Is anyone familiar with case law regarding this issue one way or the other?

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your wife signed for it at your residence...talk to her.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Briefly, I was sent a certified letter by a state agency in Florida to my residence in Pennsylvania. It's not really a legal process, just a notification that I was eligible for something. The letter was received in March 2005, and signed for by my wife. At the time, she and I were estranged. We have since reconciled and are living happily ever after.

I never did receive the actual letter, and she has no recollection of signing for it, although the state agency has a record of her signature. As a result, I am no longer eligible for what I had applied for.

So my question is, does her signing for the certified letter constitute receipt of the said letter by me, the addressee? Is anyone familiar with case law regarding this issue one way or the other?

Thanks.

BravoSix

I appreciate your reply, however talking to my wife won't answer the basic legal principle question I asked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">