• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child over 18, 30K owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Potshot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
Hi, child is over 18, attending college. Child was born in IL> "father" moved to CA at that time. He owes the child over 30,000 dollars. CA doesnt want/never has cooperated.
How can I get this money for my son, he needs it, its his, and his father lives in CA and pays for two other younger kids.
Please help!:eek:

Silverplum

Hi, child is over 18, attending college. Child was born in IL> "father" moved to CA at that time. He owes the child over 30,000 dollars. CA doesnt want/never has cooperated.
How can I get this money for my son, he needs it, its his, and his father lives in CA and pays for two other younger kids.
Is/was there a court order for support?

Antigone*

If in fact there is an order for child support, this money does not belong to your son ~ it belongs to you.

What state is the order in?

Isis1

ahem. let's do some cleaning up. there is no "father". it's FATHER. see? no quotes. if he owes child support, paternity was established and there is no question of him, being dad.

dad owes the child NOTHING! not a red cent. if the child support is court ordered, then dad owes the MOM the back support. MOM can take dad back to court for contempt. mom can request a payment plan, or a purge payment. mom can request a garnishment of wages. mom can request license suspension. mom can request a tax refund lein. mom can request jail time. mom has a lot of options.

Gracie3787

You can get the money for your son by taking dad to court and having the court order enforced. The money will be paid to you, then you can do whatever you wish with it, if you want to give it to your son you can, but you are not legally obligated to since the money is owed to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">