• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AngelaAZ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri/Colorado

I'm posting this for my sister who does not have access to a computer at this time. Will try to keep emotion out and just stick to the facts. She resides in Missouri.

Her marriage has been abusive for 8 years. Mostly mental abuse, destruction of property, keeps her from outside contact, no friends, no job, etc. Recently the situation has been escalating to him throwing plates at her and coming after her with raised fists.

Last week she called us upset and was locked in a bedroom. Long story short he was destroying her laptop computer and cell phone. She had hidden the guns 2 days prior due to his behavior. Police came and told her the property was marital so he was allowed, but forced her to return his guns to him. I contacted DCFS who then helped her leave the home and go with my family to Colorado as she has no family, job, or friends in Missouri.

Now that this has all blown over DCFS has discussed her coming back and going into a shelter and helping her get out of the marriage. My only question is does she have to go back to their shelter or can she not stay in Colorado and file from there? Her biggest fear is him having custody of the children. At this time she'd like supervised visits until he gets help for his drinking and temper.

DCFS is forcing him to go to alcohol testing, not sure if that helps any. Just looking for some insight so her bases are covered. Thank you.

Isis1

well, she can't file in co unless she has been there for 6 months. so she has a choice. she needs to decide, either wait out the 6 months and file for divorce then and risk dad filing in missouri and being ordered back before 6 months.

mom could go back, take a shelter, and do things cleanly. start looking for a full time job. getting the kids back in school. and working on dad getting supervised visitation. a recommendation from social services would help tremendously.

LdiJ

well, she can't file in co unless she has been there for 6 months. so she has a choice. she needs to decide, either wait out the 6 months and file for divorce then and risk dad filing in missouri and being ordered back before 6 months.

mom could go back, take a shelter, and do things cleanly. start looking for a full time job. getting the kids back in school. and working on dad getting supervised visitation. a recommendation from social services would help tremendously.
I wouldn't go back...not after the police made her give him his guns back. NO WAY would I go back unless forced to by a judge.

AngelaAZ

I wouldn't go back...not after the police made her give him his guns back. NO WAY would I go back unless forced to by a judge.
If she goes back to Missouri it will be to a shelter not to their home. He believes she will be home later this week. If she does not come home he will file something with the courts against her for the children. Although, there is probably only one shelter in their town.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">