• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bloomdale12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

I work for a company that pays vacation time retroactively from the year prior. Just recently they cut hours to 35 hours per week. Now they are saying that we only get 35 hours of vacation, but if it is retroactive, shouldnt we get 40 hours since that is what it was last year?

I also signed a document when I started saying I would be working 40 hours a week. They have just reduced the hours but nothing has come out in writing nor have we had to sign a new document.

Thanks for your advice.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

I work for a company that pays vacation time retroactively from the year prior. Just recently they cut hours to 35 hours per week. Now they are saying that we only get 35 hours of vacation, but if it is retroactive, shouldnt we get 40 hours since that is what it was last year?

I also signed a document when I started saying I would be working 40 hours a week. They have just reduced the hours but nothing has come out in writing nor have we had to sign a new document.

Thanks for your advice.

when you asked payroll this question, what did they say?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In your state, vacation time is not considered vested wages so they can change the plan retroactively if they wish.

Betty

Agree with cbg re the vacation time unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary.

Also, re your hrs. being reduced, you could take the document to an employment or contract attorney in your state to see if they believe it might rise to an enforceable legally binding contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">