• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Law Enforcement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Roy-Bean

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

In your opinion, are law enforcement officers, specifically local police required by law to announce themselves? Example, Stop Police. This is the police. Open the door.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

In your opinion, are law enforcement officers, specifically local police required by law to announce themselves? Example, Stop Police. This is the police. Open the door.
Only when auditioning for the remake of Adam 12:D

tranquility

For an obstruction-type charge, the government will have to prove you knew they were the police acting in their authority. Verbally identifying themselves is a good way.

Being in uniform with a badge of the local police is another good way. (Although, it would not be as good behind a door.)

Roy-Bean

Thanks to all who have replied so far.

This question was asked on another forum. The question was: Suppose a Law enforcement officer sneaks up behind you and grabs your open carry (where legal) firearm and disarms you. do you have a defensible argument if you instinctively react by punching him in the face.

One person replied by saying, Police are not legally obliged to first announce themselves. I thought they were.

BOR

This question was asked on another forum. The question was: Suppose a Law enforcement officer sneaks up behind you and grabs your open carry (where legal) firearm and disarms you. do you have a defensible argument if you instinctively react by punching him in the face.

One person replied by saying, Police are not legally obliged to first announce themselves. I thought they were.
Any relation to the hanging Judge??

An instinctive self defense blow before you know who is grabbing you is just that, instinctive.

An example of where they would not have to announce is, of course, a "No knock warrant" to enter a home.

Roy-Bean

Any relation to the hanging Judge??

An instinctive self defense blow before you know who is grabbing you is just that, instinctive.

An example of where they would not have to announce is, of course, a "No knock warrant" to enter a home.
I don't know. Being new to this forum, when asked for a username that name just poped into my head. Thanks for your opinion. May I quote you on my concealed carry forum? I will not mention your username.

BOR

I don't know. Being new to this forum, when asked for a username that name just poped into my head. Thanks for your opinion. May I quote you on my concealed carry forum? I will not mention your username.
You can quote me, no problem on my end.

Banned_Princess

You can quote me, "no knock warrants" are an excellent example of times police do not have to identify themselves.

Also they don't have to identify themselves if the uniform they are wearing indicates "law officer" and they are visible to the person they are approaching.

Also undercover officers, do not need to (should not) ID themselves as law enforcement officials.

Sometimes, if an officer feels like the firearm, legal or not, is a threat to himself, the officer or others, then I believe they can definitely act before identifying themselves. even if approaching someone who doesnt see them.

They know what to do.

Thats B anned _ Princ ess.

Roy-Bean

You can quote me, "no knock warrants" are an excellent example of times police do not have to identify themselves.

Also they don't have to identify themselves if the uniform they are wearing indicates "law officer" and they are visible to the person they are approaching.

Also undercover officers, do not need to (should not) ID themselves as law enforcement officials.

Sometimes, if an officer feels like the firearm, legal or not, is a threat to himself, the officer or others, then I believe they can definitely act before identifying themselves. even if approaching someone who doesnt see them.

They know what to do.

Thats B anned _ Princ ess.
With you permission, I quoted you on Defensive Concealed Carry Forum.

http://www.defensivecarry.com

The Category there is Open Carry Issues. My user name there is Sigp250.

I'm more familiar with Architecture as an Architect and Federally Licensed firearms dealer than law so it seemed logical for me to seek advice from a great forum where users discuss law. I find law fascinating but was not willing to offer an unqualified opinion on a subject that I know little about.

Thanks again.

CdwJava

Can the officer seize a firearm? Under the right circumstances, absolutely.

Could you be justified in popping him in the face? Sure. If you did not know it was an officer and you thought someone just popped you probably would not be charged, or, if charged, you'd have a good defense.

Frankly, I would not be sneaking up on a guy with a gun in his holster to pull it out. If I wanted to seize the weapon, I'd have mine in hand and instruct him to put his hands on his head, interlace his fingers, and get down on his knees facing away from me. THEN, after a second officer arrived, I would move in to seize the weapon.

Roy-Bean

Can the officer seize a firearm? Under the right circumstances, absolutely.

Could you be justified in popping him in the face? Sure. If you did not know it was an officer and you thought someone just popped you probably would not be charged, or, if charged, you'd have a good defense.

Frankly, I would not be sneaking up on a guy with a gun in his holster to pull it out. If I wanted to seize the weapon, I'd have mine in hand and instruct him to put his hands on his head, interlace his fingers, and get down on his knees facing away from me. THEN, after a second officer arrived, I would move in to seize the weapon.
Your reply is very similar to the replies from most other LEO's on the Defensive Concealed Carry Forum.

Some have responded by saying that an event such as this would be highly unlikely and boarders on ridiculous. After reading most of the thread and the responses on this forum, I think it is plausible and sooner or later, something like this will happen if it has not already.

Please have a look at DC forum. There are several law enforcement members. I think you will find many of the topics to be of interest to you.

Thanks for your reply. Here is the link to DC. http://www.defensivecarry.com

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">