• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

confussed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lrswiss71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW YORK

Good Day, My question is that i work for a nonprofit organization, I have no contract with my employer, in the employee hand book states that we have a very liberal sick policy, & in the event of calling out sick after 3 times a doctors note needs to be submited, which i did. I've called out 16 times in the course of a year, i was told by my manager that the amount of sick days i took were considered excessive. I then replied what is considered excessive please give me a number? no answer from my manager, no answer from Human resources!
What can i do from a legal stand point?

Beth3

16 occurrences of absences in a year would be excessive in just about anybody's book. That's more than one a month.

I then replied what is considered excessive please give me a number? no answer from my manager, no answer from Human resources! They don't have to give you a number nor do they have to excuse absences because you provided a doctor's note.

What can i do from a legal stand point? Nowhere. If you have a serious and on-going medical condition that is going to result in your continuing to be excessively absent, I suggest you speak with your manager and see if they're willing to cut you some slack. If not, then I can only suggest you do your very best to be regularly at work if you want to keep your job.

You may want to google "FMLA" and see if your employer is subject to that Act and, if so, whether any of your absences would qualify for mandated leave time.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW YORK

Good Day, My question is that i work for a nonprofit organization, I have no contract with my employer, in the employee hand book states that we have a very liberal sick policy, & in the event of calling out sick after 3 times a doctors note needs to be submited, which i did. I've called out 16 times in the course of a year, i was told by my manager that the amount of sick days i took were considered excessive. I then replied what is considered excessive please give me a number? no answer from my manager, no answer from Human resources!
What can i do from a legal stand point?
I'm confussed(sic), you think 16 call outs in a year is acceptable:eek:

Heck, if I were you I'd start brushing up my resume or if I'd make sure that I was as work EVERY day ~ come haedes or high water.

pattytx

I wonder how many sick days a year the OP believes is excessive?
Obviously, more than 6%, because that's what he's missed in the average year of working days. And that doesn't exclude holidays. :rolleyes:

I just finished a 9 1/2 month temp contract and I called in sick ONE day.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The poster might like to know that the Federal government considers a "reasonable" number of paid sick days to be five.

If five is reasonable, more than three times that is unquestionably excessive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">