• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifting and simple battery charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helpless in ga

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GEORGIA

I am 18 years old. I was 17 when I got the shoplifting charge. It was $28.00 of merchandise. It was my first offense shoplifting and first charge to be that. When I was arrested they told me it was a misdemenor. And about a month and a half later I was arrested for a simple battery charge for slapping a 27 year old man that I had told I wanted to leave my house and refused. The situation escelated and I slapped him on the cheek. which i do not know if it changes anythin but not even a month later he broke into my house and stole about $500.00 of my property. I know that my actions have consequences but I am looking for any advice I can get that may help me get lesser sentences or just an idea of the possible consequences, because I just found out I was pregnant and I want to straighten my life up not only for myself but my unborn child. Thank you in advance for any advice.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GEORGIA

I am 18 years old. I was 17 when I got the shoplifting charge. It was $28.00 of merchandise. It was my first offense shoplifting and first charge to be that. When I was arrested they told me it was a misdemenor. And about a month and a half later I was arrested for a simple battery charge for slapping a 27 year old man that I had told I wanted to leave my house and refused. The situation escelated and I slapped him on the cheek. which i do not know if it changes anythin but not even a month later he broke into my house and stole about $500.00 of my property. I know that my actions have consequences but I am looking for any advice I can get that may help me get lesser sentences or just an idea of the possible consequences, because I just found out I was pregnant and I want to straighten my life up not only for myself but my unborn child. Thank you in advance for any advice.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Lawyer.

How come the shoplifting case isnt done with yet.

helpless in ga

Thank you for your advise I really appreciate it. But do you think pleading first offender would do and good because they told me its to late to get an court appointed laywer.

Banned_Princess

Thank you for your advise I really appreciate it. But do you think pleading first offender would do and good because they told me its to late to get an court appointed laywer.
Who told you that?

Ask the judge. you have the right to an attorney, and if you cant afford one, one will be appointed to you.

helpless in ga

I'm not exactly sure what their position was it was someone in the court house but I am going to go to talk to someone tommorrow.

Banned_Princess

I'm not exactly sure what their position was it was someone in the court house but I am going to go to talk to someone tommorrow.
No, nevermind that.

Have you already seen the judge (any judge) on this matter? your arraignment maybe?

On your next court date, politely inform the judge that you need to be represented, and you cant afford a lawyer.

He should be able to assign one to you on the spot.

Good god dont plea ANYTHING except "not guilty" until you get to speak to a lawyer.

helpless in ga

I saw a first apperance judge when I was arrested for the simple battery charge. I don't mean to sound like a broken record but again thank you so much for all your help and advice.

Banned_Princess

Its totally cool. I once was a kid in trouble.

like i said, next date ( april whatever it is) ... when called up, the judge should ask if you have a lawyer,

you reply.. no sir (ma'am) I would like one, but I cannot afford one.

He will probably ask about your income, then If he doesnt assign one to you (which I doubt he wont) , he will enter a plea of not guilty on your behalf, and continue the case, so you can get a lawyer.

Then go to the legal aid office (right from there, dont wait) and ask for their assistance again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">