• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Full time hours.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

widgetridge

I work in Ohio. It is my understanding that if I am a full time employee, the company has to provide for me at least 36 hours of work. Is this correct? and what can I do if they do not provide the work and they are cutting benefits?

eerelations

There are no state or federal laws that define "full time" or "part time" employment. Employers may legally schedule their employees for any number of hours per week and call those schedules "full time" and/or "part time" as they see fit.

For example, your employer can schedule you for two hours per week and call you a full time employee, and schedule your coworker for 60 hours per week and call him/her a part time employee, and this would be perfectly legal.

If you're not asking about legal definitions of "full time" and "part time" (because, as I said above, there aren't any), but rather your benefits providers' definition of "full time" and "part time" then we have no way of knowing this. Every benefits provider has a different definition of these terms, and every definition is legal. To determine what your provider's definition is, you'll have to contact your benefits provider directly.

pattytx

Or, for ERISA benefits, such as medical/dental insurance, STD, 401K, ask for a copy of the Summary Plan Document from your HR person. Or just ask them directly.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I work in Ohio. It is my understanding that if I am a full time employee, the company has to provide for me at least 36 hours of work. Is this correct? and what can I do if they do not provide the work and they are cutting benefits?
No. It is not correct.

As indicated above, there is no law in Ohio (or most other states) defining who is full and who is part time. That is determined entirely by your employer. Additionally, you've got the wrong end of the stick. Assuming that your employer has set 36 hours as full time, you are a full time employee if you work 36 hours or more. They are not required to designate you as full or part time and then schedule you for the requisite hours.

In the current economy, many, many employers are finding it necessary to cut pay and benefits. It is legal as long as there is no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA that says it is not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">