• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell phone service discount through employer.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

I was initially hired with Company A. Company B came in and bought Company A in that market. Employees migrated from Company A to Company B therefore filling out new hiring paperwork.

I was getting 25% discount on Cell phone service with Company Z when I was hired with Company A. Company B offers 20% discount. I am still getting the Company A discount which is 25%.

Am I jeopardizing my job in anyway? I have informed Company Z about if I will still get 25% or 20%. I am waiting for their response. Would I be in trouble with the law of any sort?

Note : The discount programs with cell phone provider's are a benefit that both A and B Companies offer.

jsmith416

You really think you risk criminal prosecution for a 5% cell phone discount? Worst case is that the cell phone company finds out about it and tries to retroactively bill you (doubtful in my opinion). If they found out they would probably just bill you the correct discount going forward.

You employer could fire you for this just like they could fire you if they didn't like the color of your tie or what breed of dog you own. (assuming you are an at-will employee)

You told them. If they care they will change it and you'll see the difference on your bill but I wouldn't spend another second worrying about it.

You really think you risk criminal prosecution for a 5% cell phone discount? Worst case is that the cell phone company finds out about it and tries to retroactively bill you (doubtful in my opinion). If they found out they would probably just bill you the correct discount going forward.

You employer could fire you for this just like they could fire you if they didn't like the color of your tie or what breed of dog you own. (assuming you are an at-will employee)

You told them. If they care they will change it and you'll see the difference on your bill but I wouldn't spend another second worrying about it.
Well the thing is that I am getting 25% on a monthly basis on my bill every month.

I contacted the cell phone company through the email and the rep was aware what happened and I asked if I can continue to get the 25% discount and the rep said yes.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one has any suggestions because there was never a legal question here. This is one of the most non-issues I've ever seen in these forum.

nextwife

My guess is that, while the discount shows up monthly, your cellular service contract runs for a preset period, and that discount is locked in for the length of the contract. If you are "stuck" with the contract you had previously, until it runs out, the provider is likely also "stuck" with whatever discount was negotiated as a term of the service contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">