• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voluntary Underemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alcoello

We accept your apology.

Why???? It's money. It comes, it goes. If this is the biggest problem in your life and this is causing all this stress, then God Bless you because you obviously have never experienced adversity in all your life and neither has your child. I'd hate to see what happens when something catastrophic happens. I know people with chronic illnesses. Someone on here who's wife died after a long illness. THIS is stressful? Oh, the dramatics.

You're right. It probably isn't. We'll eventually get really harsh and you won't be able to stand it.
First I didn't say the money was causing this. My husband makes enough money to support us. Its the emotional distress of the nasty text message, the telling my son to let my current husband adopt him, then the trying to take him from me, the threats. I have experienced adversity in my life, try burying your own child. I never ONCE said the money was causing this stress. The added stress of this doesn't help everything else going on. I am sorry I am not as strong as you think I should be. But your not in my shoes and you have NO idea whatelse is going on in my life and what else he and his new wife are doing to add to it.

I came on here JUST looking for guidance, that is all. And apparently rubbed you the wrong way and for that I am so sorry. I am not a lawyer and I don't know the laws like most people. I know corporate and only to an extent. That is why I came here.

LdiJ

First I didn't say the money was causing this. My husband makes enough money to support us. Its the emotional distress of the nasty text message, the telling my son to let my current husband adopt him, then the trying to take him from me, the threats. I have experienced adversity in my life, try burying your own child. I never ONCE said the money was causing this stress. The added stress of this doesn't help everything else going on. I am sorry I am not as strong as you think I should be. But your not in my shoes and you have NO idea whatelse is going on in my life and what else he and his new wife are doing to add to it.

I came on here JUST looking for guidance, that is all. And apparently rubbed you the wrong way and for that I am so sorry. I am not a lawyer and I don't know the laws like most people. I know corporate and only to an extent. That is why I came here.
To be honest, I am not sure where CourtClerk was coming from on all of that. It all seemed a little unnecessary to me.

You are clearly dealing with a situation with a parent who is determined to pay the least amount of child support possible. Unfortunately, when you are dealing with a parent like that it can be next to impossible to collect...particularly if the employer is willing to allow the employee to manipulate things to lower support.

Its honestly more than a bit unusual that a company like Sears would be willing to engage in assisting him with hiding his income.

The reality of things however is that you honestly would need to get a forensic accountant involved if you really want to fight this. Forensic accountants are expensive. It sounds like your son is older, and you have to weigh the cost of a Forensic accountant against the amount that you could recieve until your child ages out.

alcoello

Great!

what CC is telling you...and you don't seem to be grasping is...that legally, you have to prove it. you have to get a forensic accountant to check dad out, you need dad's employer to tesitfy dad is actually deliberately working less hours for the sole purpose of lowering his support.
GREAT!! thank you so much for the advice.
1) Ok forensic accountant,
2)dad's employer to testify
3)his emails threatening to quit his job to make sure I never saw a penny
4)emails to my son about coming to live with him so he didn't have to pay child support
5) the 12 years of financial history (which I have)
6) the transcript from the last court hearing of him trying to get out of paying the increase - claiming hardship
7) an investigator following up on spending habits
8) any thing else you can think of

oh and I do grasp it. I know legally the burden of proof lies on me, thats why I came here. If I didn't think the burden of proof rested on myself I would have just let it come rolling along and showed up at court . . like the McLane vs McLane case in Texas, however, because I am preparing this is the reason I came here . . .Thank you for giving your advice, do you have any other advice regarding preparing for a voluntary underemployment case? I just want to make sure I prepare and have all my papers in order.

In re K.N.C., 276 S.W.3d at 627; see also Zorilla v. Wahid, 83 S.W.3d 247, 253 (Tex.App.-Corpus Christi 2002, no pet.); DuBois v. DuBois, 956 S.W.2d 607, 610 (Tex.App.-Tyler 1997

In re K.N.C., 276 S.W.3d at 627. Evidence of intent, such as the circumstances of obligor’s education, economic adversities, business reversals, business background, and earning potential, gives rise to an inference of voluntary underemployment. In re P.J.H., 25 S.W.3d at 405-06; see also In re K.N.C., 276 S.W.3d at 627. These factors, however, are not exhaustive. Roosth v. Roosth, 889 S.W.2d 445, 454 (Tex.App.-Houston [14th Dist.] 1994, writ denied); see, e.g., Garner, 200 S.W.3d at 303 (where the trial court considered the gifts and financial support of the obligor’s extended family in determining his net resources).

alcoello

To be honest, I am not sure where CourtClerk was coming from on all of that. It all seemed a little unnecessary to me.

Thank you, I thought it was just me. Its much easier to deal with other peoples cases than your own sometimes. I was hoping this wasn't the nature of this community. I found this community and wanted to bring my experience and then also receive experience from others.

You are clearly dealing with a situation with a parent who is determined to pay the least amount of child support possible. Unfortunately, when you are dealing with a parent like that it can be next to impossible to collect...particularly if the employer is willing to allow the employee to manipulate things to lower support.

Its honestly more than a bit unusual that a company like Sears would be willing to engage in assisting him with hiding his income.

The reality of things however is that you honestly would need to get a forensic accountant involved if you really want to fight this. Forensic accountants are expensive. It sounds like your son is older, and you have to weigh the cost of a Forensic accountant against the amount that you could recieve until your child ages out.
Thank you, now its a matter of principle. He lied to us about his income for 10 years, yes, I should have just had a review, but I thought it was pointless because he constantly complained about not having money. I once asked for $20 extra dollars to split his tutoring, which he balked at. Then I asked if he could please please help with insurance (which he was supposed to be paying) the last straw was when I asked for us to split the driving lessons for my son and he started calling me names. I then just filed a modification . .thats when I found out how much money he was making . .not 10.00 an hour. He threw a fit when he found out i was modifying child support and then told me he would never pay another penny and assured me that. Said the only way he was going to help with college was if my son went to live with him. Which wasn't going to happen because my son has a disorder that needs to be managed and he had only been around him maybe 3 times a year.

Honestly, its a matter of principle and my son's college fund. I know my law firm used a forensic accountant before on another case and I am sure I can track that down. Doesn't take a genius to see for the last 12 years he has made over $140K a year and at some point $200K and then the day he was hit with modification all the sudden his paycheck dramatically dropped . . um . .get another job. I know I need to prove his experience, business background, promotion ability, being lead district supervisor for years, earning capacity. When your bringing in millions for a company you would be surprised what they are capable of doing. I see it in my field all the time.

CourtClerk

You have posted a ton on this thread, and have given the OP nothing of any value at all...just ridicule. How did that help anything legally?
Seriously???? Because Isis' advice of a forensic accountant was MINE. Go back and read. Read it carefully. Hush now Ld.

Last edited:

LdiJ

That's ok. You'll learn. Or Ld will come back, pat you on the head and regurgitate what I said in fluffy speak.
You are really proving yourself to be here for nothing other than you own amusment...

That is really sad.

Just Blue

You are really proving yourself to be here for nothing other than you own amusment...

That is really sad.
Actually what is "sad" is that after all the years you have posted on this forum you still don't understand the law...Unless it is in regards to GPV. :(

CourtClerk

So says you. You're right. I've come on here and never helped anyone with anything. So says you, and I suppose that's all that matters right? Only to you and those you have to support, I suppose.

I guess I could take this opportunity to say bite me, but since we have LONG agreed that I don't give a da*n what you think... it'd be futile anyway. So once again, if you don't like what I post. Close your eyes. Don't respond. PUSH IGNORE SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO SEE IT. Spin your wheels, chase your tail, chase after your grandkid, make up the law as you go along, go around and repeat exactly what I said (then say I didn't say anything), translate it to people who need sympathy speak, say something wrong then disappear from the thread after multiple people prove you WRONG...

you've got lots of options. Exercise one.

Just Blue

So says you. You're right. I've come on here and never helped anyone with anything. So says you, and I suppose that's all that matters right? Only to you and those you have to support, I suppose.

I guess I could take this opportunity to say bite me, but since we have LONG agreed that I don't give a da*n what you think... it'd be futile anyway. So once again, if you don't like what I post. Close your eyes. Don't respond. PUSH IGNORE SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO SEE IT. Spin your wheels, chase your tail, chase after your grandkid, make up the law as you go along, go around and repeat exactly what I said (then say I didn't say anything), translate it to people who need sympathy speak, say something wrong then disappear from the thread after multiple people prove you WRONG...

you've got lots of options. Exercise one.

I would agree with you but then I would be accused of being one of your "minions". :p

Ahhh...Screw it!!

Co-signed!! ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">