• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a statute of limitations on filing an order of contempt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I need to file an order of contempt against the mother of my son for failure to abide by the court ordered custody agreement. She was ordered to either pick him up from the daycare that I provide for him during my visitation and keep him until her visitation is over or pay for each day she does not have him for her visitation.

It is currently going on two and a half years that she has failed to keep up this agreement and I was wondering if there was a statute of limitations in GA which might prevent me from going back two years to collect what she owes. I tried to find info online but the only thing that came close was child support enforcement and technically this was not child support.

I know I should not have waited this long but I have really had enough of her choosing when she wants to be a mom.

Zephyr

If the behavior is still occurring then file for contempt. Have you talked with mom about this issue and attemped to get her to follow the order?

If the behavior is still occurring then file for contempt. Have you talked with mom about this issue and attemped to get her to follow the order?
She is still not following the order. I just didn't know how far back I can ask to be reimbursed for the daycare fees. I have talked to her many times but she is simply an unreliable and irresponsible person in general. I can almost guarantee she will not have the money to pay for what she owes but I just want to show her complete disregard for the order and hopefully change the custody during mediation.

futuredust

She is still not following the order. I just didn't know how far back I can ask to be reimbursed for the daycare fees. I have talked to her many times but she is simply an unreliable and irresponsible person in general. I can almost guarantee she will not have the money to pay for what she owes but I just want to show her complete disregard for the order and hopefully change the custody during mediation.
What is the current custody order?

What is the current custody order?
The current order requires that I have him from 6pm Friday until 12pm Tuesday at which point she is required to pick him up from school and keep him until Friday. The order also states that each additional day he is in my custody between Wednesday and Friday she is to pay $30.00 per day. So far she has racked up a nice size bill probably in excess of $7000.

I have allowed her to see him even during my time as it is not my son's fault and he needs to see his mother. I only asked that she be consistent with her visits and she is not. I have to constantly tell him your mother is not going to be able to pick you up today. And of course I have to deal with his disappointment. So finally I have decided to just file for contempt, hit her in the pockets, and hopefully get her to either follow the order or have it changed because the current order is going to be useless as he will be starting kindergarten this fall and that brings on a whole new set of arrangements.

WittyUserName

Just for clarification - what is the legal/physical custody arrangement? Do you two have joint custody? Do you have sole custody?

Just for clarification - what is the legal/physical custody arrangement? Do you two have joint custody? Do you have sole custody?
I agreed to a 50/50 split with the usual odd/even rule for the holidays. She was to pay for her own daycare, medical, etc but it seems I have been left providing everything for the last three years. It was a mistake on my part not to ask for some child support but I figured I was financially able to provide for him if or rather when she stopped which she did shortly after the second custody hearing that she ironically ordered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">