• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child by marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liza_russ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR

My parents and sister are on Section 8 housing. My husband has a home in his name he rents out. They want to live there. Section 8 rules say can't rent from child, grandchild, brother, sister by blood, marriage, or addoption. Is he a child/brother by marriage? I don't think he is as my understanding of the definition is two people getting married and already have kids, then the kids are brothers/sisters by marriage and the children are children by blood or marriage of the married couple.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR

My parents and sister are on Section 8 housing. My husband has a home in his name he rents out. They want to live there. Section 8 rules say can't rent from child, grandchild, brother, sister by blood, marriage, or addoption. Is he a child/brother by marriage? I don't think he is as my understanding of the definition is two people getting married and already have kids, then the kids are brothers/sisters by marriage and the children are children by blood or marriage of the married couple.
Wrong - that section is referring to "in-laws", which hubby DEFINITELY is.

DeenaCA

The regulation for the voucher program ("Section 8") is at 24 Code of Federal Regulations 982.306 ():
If the house is your husband's separate property, the housing authority can approve the tenancy. You could direct the housing authority to this Federal Register notice: [url]http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?IPaddress=frwais.access.gpo.gov&dbname=1998_register&docid=98-13157-filed.pdf. In the notice, a commenter suggests extending the relative prohibition to in-laws, and HUD declines to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">