• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is Department of Transportation's Responsibility?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bradlm

Are DOT's not responsible for damages while on the road's they're commissioned to maintain? SCDOT says they aren't!

In South Carolina we hit a large pot hole, +6" deep, that destroyed a tire and rim with damages over $600. We were told to file with DMV, then DOT, and now DOT says that a state utility service (water company) made the cut in the road and repair. Their repair failed so we need to file a claim with them. DOT took 6 months to respond with this denial!

The Chief Counsel for SCDOT says that DOT is not responsible for damages resulting from problems they did not cause.

I *think* the South Carolina Tort Claims Act (Section 15-78-10) defines their responsibility and says, "...a governmental entity are liable for their torts in the same manner and to the same extent as a private individual...". The Chief Counsel says that this law also excepts them from problems they didn't cause. Eg. a utility company authorized to make cuts and responsible to repair them.

Again I ask, should DOT not be responsible to the end for the maintenance? I feel our claim should be with them, and they pursue whomever they allowed to do work on property they are maintaining. I don't want to get litigious, merely hate being pushed around for 6 months and now start over with a new claim and more complications. What law says DOT should be responsible?

(Later learned the normal template permit (blanket encroachment permit) for the utility company to do work was never signed at all. Counsel says an email from one to the other would serve as authorization though. However, IMO it wouldn't outline liability.)

Thanks for any input!

xylene

You should file an insurance claim.

Your coverage should have included protection this kind of damage.

bradlm

xylene,

Thank you for your reply. However, this does not meet our deductible. We have filed with the water company and they intend to pay. Regardless, I'm frustrated it took the DOT 6 months to respond and simply deny. My main interest is in determining why an agency of the government is not responsible for what I feel so many feel they are responsible for.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
xylene,

Thank you for your reply. However, this does not meet our deductible. We have filed with the water company and they intend to pay. Regardless, I'm frustrated it took the DOT 6 months to respond and simply deny. My main interest is in determining why an agency of the government is not responsible for what I feel so many feel they are responsible for.
Yours is not a legal question.
Furthermore, you are wasting this forum's time by trying to get us to advise on a solution to a problem that no longer exists. Yeesh!

bradlm

Zigner,

This is a legal question - what is the legal responsibility of a DOT to the roadways and the motorists that drive on them. I'm inquiring to which law governs this.

This issue is not resolved for me. I have yet to learn anything intelligent about the question I posted.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Zigner,

This is a legal question - what is the legal responsibility of a DOT to the roadways and the motorists that drive on them. I'm inquiring to which law governs this.

This issue is not resolved for me. I have yet to learn anything intelligent about the question I posted.
The question is moot.

Zigner,

S.C. Code of Laws Title 15 Chapter 78 South Carolina Tort Claims Act - http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t15c078.htm

Go to the link and brush up on South Carolina's governmental immunity statutes. I think you will find a hard time suing your government, but good luck.

This is all a moot point, as was stated by Zigner. You're problem is fixed and being paid for.

bradlm

No longer moot.

Utility company refused to pay. They are claiming no responsibility, even though it is their patch. DOT refuses to pay. I knew this was coming.

Sucks to be me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">