• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

victim of an illegal levy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

badd302

I was a victim of an illegal levy. It is commonly known as a "window levy" which is property is included on the writ of execution that the constable has never seen nor touched, therefore the name "window levy." The judgment was not mine, I was only a tenant in the house of the owner who was the judgment debtor. The constable basically did this window levy out of spite as I would not allow him entry to my house.

I filed objections to the levy but due to the bias towards the plaintiff (which is another matter in itself) all my objections were denied and it took filing an appeal and being granted exemption from an arbitration court, almost 6 to 9 months later for a judgment that was not even mine.

Since I am not getting any type of satisfaction within court administration officers, I am going to sue this constable civily for the expenses I incurred to defend this levy of my property but since it is obvious and I can PROVE this was done out of spite, could I include a claim for intentional infliction of emotional distress? He clearly abused his authority.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was a victim of an illegal levy. It is commonly known as a "window levy" which is property is included on the writ of execution that the constable has never seen nor touched, therefore the name "window levy." The judgment was not mine, I was only a tenant in the house of the owner who was the judgment debtor. The constable basically did this window levy out of spite as I would not allow him entry to my house.

I filed objections to the levy but due to the bias towards the plaintiff (which is another matter in itself) all my objections were denied and it took filing an appeal and being granted exemption from an arbitration court, almost 6 to 9 months later for a judgment that was not even mine.

Since I am not getting any type of satisfaction within court administration officers, I am going to sue this constable civily for the expenses I incurred to defend this levy of my property but since it is obvious and I can PROVE this was done out of spite, could I include a claim for intentional infliction of emotional distress? He clearly abused his authority.
US Law Only!

tranquility

Actually, you won't be able to prove spite at all until after you prove that reasonable officer in like circumstances should know what he did is illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">