• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance/Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Patcuprek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My spouse and I are waiting for our divorce to become final in 5 months. We have joint custody of our son. I am paying for life insurance for both of us until further notice. I called my insurance agent to day to change my beneficiary to my son. Ironically, she was there asking for the same type of forms. She also asked about insurance for my company.
1. Can I change my beneficiary to my son, while our divorce is pending?
2. I own 1/3 of the company, she has nothing to do with the company, can
she legally make inquires to my insurance agent about this?:confused:

mistoffolees

My spouse and I are waiting for our divorce to become final in 5 months. We have joint custody of our son. I am paying for life insurance for both of us until further notice. I called my insurance agent to day to change my beneficiary to my son. Ironically, she was there asking for the same type of forms. She also asked about insurance for my company.
1. You should have received default instructions when the divorce was filed. You should not be changing any insurance policies until the divorce is final.

2. She can legally ask about whatever she wants. Your insurance company should not be discussing your private business with her, thought.

LdiJ

As Misto said, you should not be making any changes until the divorce is final.

Patcuprek

Thank you. The divorce is not final and has not been submitted to the courts yet as she is declining almost everything I submitted.
I have paid for our car insurance up to June of 2011 and unfortunately, she had an accident and totalled her vehicle. I am required to pay for her medical insurance as well. I also pay spousal support as she is unemployed at present.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">