• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hijinx

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIMMAAYY

I'm not the one resorting to ad hom attacks and nit-picking on irrelevant terms. Perhaps you should be a grammar and punctuation ****.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. The bottom line is that a 1099 WORKER ( I know you like that word so I hope that makes you happy ) can enroll in a group plan with W2 EMPLOYEES ( there's another word you like... hope you are following along ), provided some terms and conditions are met and taken care of contractually... at least through one carrier in Indiana, which is where the OP of the original question is located. Ergo, I am correct, and several of the responders were not. I also believe group insurance is a dinosaur, so I pointed that out as well... this IS a place for advice, is it not? And that's great advice. Get rid of group. If you sell it, you're in for a rude awakening very soon. Employers who keep it, as most know it ( buying full insured group plans ), are wasting a trillion dollars a year in the US.

Why do people have such a hard time admitting they were wrong when someone shows them an answer, backs it up with supporting material, and helps someone? Are their egos bruised that easily?

Nit pick and bicker all you want. While you're giving pat answers from google, I'm actually helping people with options.

Enjoy.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And one of those terms and conditions is that the plan document lists them as being eligible. If Assurant thinks otherwise, I hope they have a good attorney on retainer when the IRS and the US DOL come calling.

You have yet to show that anyone was wrong.

TIMMAAYY

So you put in the proper plan document... and the problem is... what exactly?

As far as who was wrong... here's one...

Here is what was asked... "Can I put 1099 employees on my group plan? "

Patty said... "1099 contractors are not legally employees and therefore cannot participate in benefit plans designated for employees." ,

Clearly they can be on the same plan, if the plan and carrier allows them to... 1099 "workers" on a group plan with W2 "employees", together, on the same group plan. (Is that clear enough for you, Ziggy? )There is no law that says they can't. There are tests to determine the person's status.

Any group that wants to do things the RIGHT way, needs to have the proper plan documents. All of my people have the right documents for ERISA, HIPAA and the IRS. The IRS has reviewed our documents and given them their blessing. You don't get much more clarity than that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And if the benefit plan is designated for employees, and does not have provision for the inclusion of 1099 contractors, then Patty is correct.

If the plan document allows for the inclusion of 1099 contractors, then of course they can be included, but in that case the plan is NOT designated for employees only. And Patty is still correct.

I said several posts ago that the law did not prohibit it and that the plan document was what mattered. So what's your problem?

TIMMAAYY

I understand that YOU get it. You usually do, even if it's something you've never seen before, because you take the time to look at the information and do some homework.

The problem is a double standard on this forum with some people, as clearly shown in this thread. When someone posts something that someone else doesn't understand, even though they think they do, they are called names, told to go away, etc. Then, when it comes to light that the person who made the statement IS correct and points this out, then they are "being a jerk". It boggles the mind.

I made a statement which was correct and true, I offered additional advice to someone who might want to look at another option that could help them, and for that I am labeled as "having an agenda" or being a one-trick pony. Then some other clown actually goes over the cliff and attempts to point out that they "know more than ever will" about benefits... which is absolutely hilarious. The funniest thing about all of this is that whoever said "he thinks private insurance is the answer for everything"... where do you think we are headed to fix this mess? Insurance exchange? No more pre-existing conditions? Group is going to die a quick and much deserved death. Everyone WILL have their own insurance... they can do it now and just don't know it.

Typically, when people don't understand something or feel threatened, they move to personal insults and other petty behavior, which is clearly seen in this thread and the original thread which is now closed. It's actually funny when you think about it.

TIMMAAYY

And if the benefit plan is designated for employees, and does not have provision for the inclusion of 1099 contractors, then Patty is correct.

If the plan document allows for the inclusion of 1099 contractors, then of course they can be included, but in that case the plan is NOT designated for employees only. And Patty is still correct.

I said several posts ago that the law did not prohibit it and that the plan document was what mattered. So what's your problem?
There was no mention of the plan document... just a blanket statement by Patty that it can't be done... and that is incorrect.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She didn't have to mention a plan document specifically. She said, one designed for employees. That implies a document that spells out the design, even if she didn't use the magic words.

TIMMAAYY

I still say she's wrong, but whatever floats your boat. :p

Making a blanket statement that it can't be done is wrong, because clearly, it can.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She had the proper qualifier, even if you fail to recognize it because you're too interested in your own agenda.

eerelations

I still say she's wrong, but whatever floats your boat. :p

Making a blanket statement that it can't be done is wrong, because clearly, it can.
Didn't say any such thing. Ever. I don't care what quotes you come up with, you've read them all wrong. (As noted previously, your reading skills are negligible at best.) And if you continue with all your childish ranting on these forums you will eventually be barred. Jerks like you don't last long here.

I'm done with this loser. Hopefully all the other adults here are done too.

pattytx

I reiterate. Just because something CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.

I COULD throw my new kitten in the woods. I SHOULD not.

TIMMAAYY

No, she didn't.

( There's that double standard again. )

The Assurant plan is the exact same plan. Is it "designed for employees" ? Yes it is. Can the 1099's come onto it if they pass the tests? Yes.

There is no special plan design. Assurant allows this.

If helping people out is an agenda, you're all guilty of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">