• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interrupted time-sharing required to be made up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLstepmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My fiance and his ex-wife have a mediation agreement that states (1) she can't commit the kids to activities that interfere with his timesharing, and (2) missed timesharing must be made up by a mutually agreeable schedule. In January 2010 she told him the kids do not participate in choir. Recently, however, she told him the kids have a choir event on a day that the kids are with him for timesharing. Taking them to the event means at least one hour of travel each way.

He agreed to take the children to the event and requested at least part of the lost time is made up. His ex said she will not schedule make-up time. My question is: she committed the kids to an activity without his knowledge or consent, he has not forfeited timesharing on that day, and his timesharing is interfered with by at least 4 hours for this event, so isn't make-up time required to be scheduled?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My fiance and his ex-wife have a mediation agreement that states (1) she can't commit the kids to activities that interfere with his timesharing, and (2) missed timesharing must be made up by a mutually agreeable schedule. In January 2010 she told him the kids do not participate in choir. Recently, however, she told him the kids have a choir event on a day that the kids are with him for timesharing. Taking them to the event means at least one hour of travel each way.

He agreed to take the children to the event and requested at least part of the lost time is made up. His ex said she will not schedule make-up time. My question is: she committed the kids to an activity without his knowledge or consent, he has not forfeited timesharing on that day, and his timesharing is interfered with by at least 4 hours for this event, so isn't make-up time required to be scheduled?
So he took the kids to this event?

FLstepmom

No, the event is not until December. When she told him about the event, he told her he agrees to take the kids to the event as long as the lost time is made up. The event is over an hour away (each way), so there are travel expenses as well.

Antigone*

No, the event is not until December. When she told him about the event, he told her he agrees to take the kids to the event as long as the lost time is made up. The event is over an hour away (each way), so there are travel expenses as well.
If he doesn't want to take the kids, then he doesn't have to. Then she has to make up the time. If he takes the kids, there is no time to make up.

FLstepmom

We know he is not obligated to take the kids, since this event is scheduled during his timesharing and he did not give consent for them to participate. However, taking them to the event so they can participate is best for the kids, since they already expect to participate (thanks to their mother involving the kids in this event without ever notifying the children's father).

But my question is not whether he has to take them. The question is, since she committed the children to an event without his knowledge, and the event interrupts his timesharing by several hours and incurs travel expenses, is she required to schedule make-up time for the interference with his timesharing?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
We know he is not obligated to take the kids, since this event is scheduled during his timesharing and he did not give consent for them to participate. However, taking them to the event so they can participate is best for the kids, since they already expect to participate (thanks to their mother involving the kids in this event without ever notifying the children's father).

But my question is not whether he has to take them. The question is, since she committed the children to an event without his knowledge, and the event interrupts his timesharing by several hours and incurs travel expenses, is she required to schedule make-up time for the interference with his timesharing?
How does it interrupt Dad's time? Isn't he going to be there, watching the children perform? :rolleyes:

Isis1

Are you saying that if it's not on his time he wouldn't consider going to this event?

If my husband/boyfriend/paramour/bedbuddy was all up in my business posting MY personal business, i'd be pretty ticked off.

CSO286

If he takes them, then no, since it is on his time. Is it the right thing to do for the kids----think about it.

FLstepmom

He will be in the audience, yes. However, this is an activity that he wasn't even aware the kids are participating in until he was told he had to take them to the event. It is not an event in the same town and requires an hour of driving to get there and an hour back after the event. (This is also not the first time the kids have been signed up for activities that require him to do all the driving.)

Specifically, however, the mediation agreement states that she is not to commit the children to activities that interfere with his timesharing, period. It also states that any missed timesharing must be made up. So my question is just trying to clarify if, per the wording of the agreement, the interrupted timesharing should be scheduled for make-up time.

Antigone*

He will be in the audience, yes. However, this is an activity that he wasn't even aware the kids are participating in until he was told he had to take them to the event. It is not an event in the same town and requires an hour of driving to get there and an hour back after the event. (This is also not the first time the kids have been signed up for activities that require him to do all the driving.)

Specifically, however, the mediation agreement states that she is not to commit the children to activities that interfere with his timesharing, period. It also states that any missed timesharing must be made up. So my question is just trying to clarify if, per the wording of the agreement, the interrupted timesharing should be scheduled for make-up time.
You've been told, already. If this is his parenting time and he does not want to take them he does not have to ~ period end of story.

If he does take them, then no make-up time is needed.

If he adamantly disagrees with this activity then HE has a choice to make. You on the other hand, don't.

FLstepmom

If he takes them, then no, since it is on his time. Is it the right thing to do for the kids----think about it.
That is precisely my point: this is on his time. He did not schedule the event and was not even informed they were participating until he was told to take them that day. What is best for the kids is of course to take them so they can participate. That is not my question. The children get very limited time with their father. If they have 2 nights with him on a weekend, and spend this entire afternoon/evening traveling to and from this event, their one-on-one time with his is cut short.

CSO286

Suck it up, sweetie!! If this is in December, why are you pitching a fit about what sounds like a holiday program? This is about the kids...and this is quite frankly none of your business!
Re the bolded: If it truly bothers dad so much, he can come and post his concerns and we'd be happy to give him his options as well as our wise and unsolicted opinion about forcing mom to make up time that dad already will get to spend with the kids.

CSO286

That is precisely my point: this is on his time. He did not schedule the event and was not even informed they were participating until he was told to take them that day. What is best for the kids is of course to take them so they can participate. That is not my question. The children get very limited time with their father. If they have 2 nights with him on a weekend, and spend this entire afternoon/evening traveling to and from this event, their one-on-one time with his is cut short.
not your problem.

FLstepmom

Are you saying that if it's not on his time he wouldn't consider going to this event?

If my husband/boyfriend/paramour/bedbuddy was all up in my business posting MY personal business, i'd be pretty ticked off.
My question wasn't the least bit in regards to your unsolicited opinion of me or my family. Taking the time to type judgmental drivel is a waste of everyone's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">