• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dr. Pepper

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

To help my brother with a car loan I put my name on the loan. So to specify we're joint on the loan and I'm primary because my credit is good. The title came in the mail the other day and only his name was on the title once he discovered that his name was the only one on the title he hasn't made a payment on the car and I haven't seen him in awhile. I called the bank and all they said to do was go to the DMV with him and change it, but I know he won't come. He just wants the car and he doesn't care about his credit obviously, but I do care about my credit. So I can't teach him a lesson and let it get repossessed because it will hurt my credit. I just want to rightfully get the title in my name like it was supposed to be so I can sell the car and get rid of it. To me this is just a big mess-up because I'm primary on the loan and they didn't put my name on the title and they should fix it without his consent. I Just want to seize it and sell it now or I'm just going to pay it off, but get it back through legal action. How do I do that? Can I hire a lawyer to switch the title over rightfully?

justalayman

no. You need to understand purchasing the car and borrowing the money are two different things.

was the car purchased at a dealership or a private party?

Who purchased the car; actually signed the purchase documents?

Unless your name is on the purchase documents, you have no right to demand your name be on the title. About the only recourse you have would be to pay the loan and then sue your brother for the money as apparently that was your agreement at the time of the contract.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Perhaps the selling dealer will help with the paperwork foul-up that they (seemingly) caused...

justalayman

Perhaps the selling dealer will help with the paperwork foul-up that they (seemingly) caused...
there may not be any screw up.

To help my brother with a car loan I put my name on the loan. So to specify we're joint on the loan and I'm primary because my credit is good.
OP said nothing about being joint purchasers.

but even if they were co-purchaser, OP isn't going to get what he wants:

I just want to rightfully get the title in my name like it was supposed to be so I can sell the car and get rid of it.
at the very best, OP would end up joint owner listed Joe "AND" Bob.

OP won't be able to do anything more with the car then than he can now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">