• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

exemption for W-4?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

13cyberphoenix

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi, I'm starting my first job soon where I'm no longer a dependent of my parents, and I need help with my W-4

I'm confused if I can, or even should, claim exemption from withholding. I had a previous internship, where my gross income was about $6000 or so. What should I put down?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi, I'm starting my first job soon where I'm no longer a dependent of my parents, and I need help with my W-4

I'm confused if I can, or even should, claim exemption from withholding. I had a previous internship, where my gross income was about $6000 or so. What should I put down?
For 2010, its not going to make much difference no matter what you put down as you won't have more than a paycheck or two before the end of the year.

However, I normally recommend single and 0 for someone just starting out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">