• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inclement Weather and Visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

strathywins

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Is there a rule to go by when it is snowing outside (or any other type of bad weather) for child visitation?

Tonight dad is to visit and it is snowing out. The roads are bad, things are closing down and there are accidents. The schools are closed.

Is there a point when it is too hazardous to drive for a court ordered visit?

Thanks!

futuredust

Is there a rule to go by when it is snowing outside (or any other type of bad weather) for child visitation?

Tonight dad is to visit and it is snowing out. The roads are bad, things are closing down and there are accidents. The schools are closed.

Thanks!
Really?...

So much for starting with you.

History, recent, as in the last hour with this one.

LdiJ

Thanks!
Either when you and dad agree that its too hazardous, or when the authorities recommend that people stay off the roads for non-essential travel.

Make sure however that you document the bad whether issues or the recommendations to stay off the roads.

CSO286

Thanks!

You don't give up, do you?

In any event, if the distance is too great and the sheriffs' office is recommending no travel, then don't travel. Be prepared to make up the time.
But if Dad shows up to pick up junior, then be prepared to hand the child over--regardless of whether or not you feel the weather is too bad to be driving in.

Call Dad ahead of time and say, "it's snowing and blowing so bad that I'm not comfortable driving junior to your house/designated meeting place tonight. I can offer you makeup time at XYZ. Of course, if you don't mind coming to my home to pick up junior, that's fine, too. What do you prefer?"

LdiJ

Really?...

So much for starting with you.

History, recent, as in the last hour with this one.
Yes, I know, however according to CNN its really getting bad in VA today. It actually sounds like its going to be bad enough tonite that people should not be on the roads for any non-essential travel.

futuredust

Yes, I know, however according to CNN its really getting bad in VA today. It actually sounds like its going to be bad enough tonite that people should not be on the roads for any non-essential travel.
Then I would suggest mom pack extra for the child. Dad could end up with her overnight should the state police announce travel should be limited, after dad picks up child.

Dad may get that make up time sooner rather then later.

Karma...

CSO286

OP--How far are we talking here, 10 miles, 25, 50?

Current Weather advisory on accuweather indicates caustion should be used for driving (Not shouting, I'm just not going to edit the copy to use small letters):

AccuWeather.com - Norfolk Weather Advisories - Weather Warnings & Watches for Norfolk, VA

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST THIS EVENING...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST THIS EVENING.

* TOTAL ACCUMULATION...1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET.

* ICE AMOUNTS...A TRACE TO ONE TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE IS POSSIBLE THROUGH THIS EVENING.

* TIMING: PRECIPITATION WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THIS EVENING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING

CSO286

Then I would suggest mom pack extra for the child. Dad could end up with her overnight should the state police announce travel should be limited, after dad picks up child.

Dad may get that make up time sooner rather then later.

Karma...

Co-sign, please.:rolleyes::cool:

strathywins

I am not trying to withhold her from him. I am trying to figure out what people do in these situations. I don't really have anyone else to ask and I think you all are the people who will know.

Thank you for your answers.

Our order states that I drop her off with her dad and then he drops her off when finished. He lives about 30 minutes away but he has been staying with his girlfriend, who is 10 minutes away from me. So he is going to pick her up from here and I am going to pick her up from the girlfriends.

I think we have worked it out! :)

futuredust

I am not trying to withhold her from him. I am trying to figure out what people do in these situations. I don't really have anyone else to ask and I think you all are the people who will know.

Thank you for your answers.

Our order states that I drop her off with her dad and then he drops her off when finished. He lives about 30 minutes away but he has been staying with his girlfriend, who is 10 minutes away from me. So he is going to pick her up from here and I am going to pick her up from the girlfriends.

I think we have worked it out! :)

So, if the authorities do in fact put out that there should be no non-essential travel.. Will you leave the child in the care of dad overnight, or will you risk it all to make sure that does not happen, at all costs?

Rhetorical question, by the way.. :rolleyes:

Monte86

If you don't feel comfortable driving see if dad will do all the driving tonight or in future inclement weather.
My ex won't drive if rains or if there is any snow on the ground period--thats inclement for her.
I do all the driving in the winter pretty much if I want to see my daughter.

strathywins

I don't want to get in accident with the baby. I also don't want him to get in an accident. He has never had an overnight with her. He doesn't have a crib. I don't think he has linens or blankets even. He refuses to take anything of mine with him except for the clothes she has on. I guess she would survive it, but I must admit I am really worried about it.

futuredust

I don't want to get in accident with the baby. I also don't want him to get in an accident. He has never had an overnight with her. He doesn't have a crib. I don't think he has linens or blankets even. He refuses to take anything of mine with him except for the clothes she has on. I guess she would survive it, but I must admit I am really worried about it.
Seriously, you don't think they have linens or blankets?..

Then what do all these people sleep on/with?

You have control issues, that is now very clear.

ETA** My grandchildren have spent the night with me as babies. I have no crib either.. And oh my, I actually let them sleep in a laundry basket on many occasions.. Otherwise referred to as a poor boy bassinet. I slept in one too, as did my own children. Heck, I actually slept in a dresser drawer as a child at my grandmothers.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Babies do NOT NEED cribs. Seriously.

gam

When maybe this once you and dad can both grow up and when he picks up the child, you can discuss the weather. Offer whatever you have as far as blankets or playpen for dad to take. Explain to dad if the weather keeps up and they close those roads to non emergency travel, that the child might have to stay.

It would really be not smart of either parent to travel later on to bring the child home if it's that bad out. The child will survive, dad has to learn to do overnights at some point anyways. On top of that he is at his girlfriends, and you said she has 2 kids of her own, so I am sure she knows how to take care of an 8 month old.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">