• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

USPS makes me laugh

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PoolBoy7

Question from California

To pay my annual Post Office Box fee, the advance notice I received from the USPS in my PO Box included the option of sending a check - rather than wait in line. The address to send my check is the Post Office at which I have a PO Box. BTW, my address on my check is my PO Box. I issued a check on-line for the full amount payable to the USPS at the mailing address on the notice. The bank I use has always told me that the checks I issue on line that way are a “bank check,” so receipt equals payment. The Bank has verification of that check being mailed; meaning the USPS took possession.

However, my local Post Office claims my check did not arrive. :confused: Here is what amuses me. The USPS did not deliver mail addressed to itself and lost the money it already received by doing what the USPS is paid to do, deliver mail.:D The not so funny part is that the USPS wants me to pay twice + the late fee. Even then, it’s still funny to me.

The USPS is almost a charity at this point, so my “donation” is going to a good cause – and I live in a small town, so it is not good to make waves. My bank offered to pay the duplicate fee and the late fee, if I send the bank a letter summarizing what happened. However, just between me and all of you, is my local Post Office being fair?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

The Bank has verification of that check being mailed; meaning the USPS took possession.
This is your fatal flaw in your thinking. It does not mean the USPS received the check. The only proof you can provide is a copy of the canceled check. Where is that?

Antigone*

This is your fatal flaw in your thinking. It does not mean the USPS received the check. The only proof you can provide is a copy of the canceled check. Where is that?
I find it amusing that the OP thinks a bank can verify that a check has been mailed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">