• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to use Vacation Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sadie Girl

Hello,

I live in NY where we recently got about 8 inches of snow. Our company is large (employs over 35,000 people) and has buildings all over Long Island. The night before the anticipated snow, we were told that our building would be "closed" and not to come to work. We were further told that we would have to use our Vacation time, even though our employer was telling us not to come in. The day of the snow, I happened to be driving by the building (the snow wasn't all that bad), and happened to notice that people were walking in and out of the building. It was in fact, unlocked (prior to what I'd expected). It turns out that our department was told not to come in, but that the building remained open for other departments. As I had a lot to do, and did not wish to use my vacation time, I worked for a couple of hours that day. Because I was told that the building would be closed, I ended up having to use a full day of vacation even though I worked. I'm not all that concerned since I needed to get the work done, but my question is this: Is it legal to prevent employees from working (e.g. by "closing") and then force them to use Vacation time for the day that they were not permitted to work?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Sadie
NY

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">