• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Custody Modification and 62 mile commute for 7 year old on a school day

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecmst12

I certainly don't think this is a hill worth dying on. If you try to go to court over this, the fallout in your coparenting relationship will suffer much more then your child is suffering from the occasional early morning right now.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the other responses here.

I used to live in Santa Rosa and the commute from Santa Rosa to Benecia is horrible. It is the commute direction (more than 1 hour) in the morning from Santa Rosa to Benecia and there are often accidents on all roads (101, 37 and 80).

Benecia is in Solano County, Santa Rosa is in Sonoma County. Jurisdiction appears to be in Solano County. Is that right?

Dad did move away and that may be a significant distance for a change in circumstance, especially when you couple it with the fact that he no longer exercises mid week visits.

It also depends on who is the judge for your case in Solano County. If the case is before Commissioner Haet, forget it. He is known to be unfriendly towards women. Judge Cynda Unger is even handed and pleasant in the courtroom. I don't know about the 2 other judges in the Family Law Division.

FYI All Family Law cases are heard in Fairfield now.

my bear

I am concerned with the commute only because I feel that it is too much for a young seven year old to make on a school day. I have offered to pick her up from his house on Sunday night at 7:00 pm, so that she could get a good nights sleep and be rested for Monday (I have a 12 mile commute to work, so I don't have to wake her up until 7:15 to get her ready and make it to work on time) . He would only be losing sleep and commute time as far as the visitation goes. I know these are all my opinions, but I am concerned for my daughters education and well being because she is extremely tired every other Monday since this has recently started.

Silverplum

I am concerned with the commute only because I feel that it is too much for a young seven year old to make on a school day. I have offered to pick her up from his house on Sunday night at 7:00 pm, so that she could get a good nights sleep and be rested for Monday (I have a 12 mile commute to work, so I don't have to wake her up until 7:15 to get her ready and make it to work on time) . He would only be losing sleep and commute time as far as the visitation goes. I know these are all my opinions, but I am concerned for my daughters education and well being because she is extremely tired every other Monday since this has recently started.
She'll get over it.

SESmama

The child is most likely seeming tired because it is new. Give it a month and I bet she gets used to it. My child wakes up at 630am every morning because that is what his body is used to. If you help make it a point to have her wake at the same time she will not seem as tired. Ii would personally work with dad on the bedtime and wakeup time rather than worry over the commute.

my bear

Thank you everyone for your advice and input it was greatly appreciated. But as it turns out I have no need to worry for the rest of this school year as I was just informed he will be unavailable to exercise any further visitation until the middle of July. So, I will close the chapter on this book and in the future I will remember all the great advice and not to sweat the small stuff. Thank you all once again and have a wonderful day!

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

Thank you everyone for your advice and input it was greatly appreciated. But as it turns out I have no need to worry for the rest of this school year as I was just informed he will be unavailable to exercise any further visitation until the middle of July. So, I will close the chapter on this book and in the future I will remember all the great advice and not to sweat the small stuff. Thank you all once again and have a wonderful day!
Just out of curiousity, did he say WHY? :confused: You got all bent out of shape over this and just like *that* he decides that he's done until July? Hmmm... sounds kinda fishy to me.

my bear

Yes, he just got off of a long project so he is going to go on vacation and then he has accepted another project after that out of state. I understanderstand both vacation and work. I know it seems unusual, but this has been the norm in our co-parenting relationship. He was not an involved parent in our daughter's life until 2 years ago when we got the original court order. We actually have a very civil relationship, it is just once in a while that we do not see eye to eye. But regardless of our beliefs about the other, our daughter is not aware of any issues we may have with one another.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">