• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Follow up on my previous posts...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

strathywins

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I wanted to let everyone on here know how things went with Cora's dad and I. I am the mother that has the control issue about how I thought that feeding my daughter sweet potatoes was in fact "endangering" her life.

Welllll, since then my daughter's dad and I have been to a co-parenting class that is offered in our area by child protective services and social services and it did a world of good for our whole family. It made us both more understanding of each other and now we work everything out for the greater good of our daughter's future. We both love her and want the best things for her. I recognize now that I was controlling, overprotective and flat out mean sometimes and I have learned that that doesn't work when it comes to parenting. And her father and I are both parents. We created a beautiful baby girl and there is no sense in us acting the way we were.

The class has helped us figure out how to deal with one another and gave really helpful tips, guidelines and advice on how to work out things and issues that are bound to arise in situations like ours where we are parenting together but living apart. Just because we decided to make a move apart from one another doesn't mean our parenting ends there. We are in it for life and getting along is so much better, so much more relaxing than the fighting and arguing and all we are really doing by arguing and fighting is hurting our sweet girl.

I hope everyone who reads this can stop hiring lawyers, because I have paid mine over 15 grand for practically nothing. While in court split up couples fighting over their child are only hurting one another and making their child and their futures miserable. Who knows your child best? You and your co-parent. Not a judge or a lawyer. Unless there is true abuse or something else going on a lawyer and a judge should not have any part in it. Except maybe at first to lay down some ground rules and schedules for the parents to work from. Getting along with your co-parent and letting them parent their way and you parent your way is the best way to make your children healthier and happier. Communication is the key and it does start with yourself. Make sure you are the better man/woman and it will pay off. The other party will come around and if they don't then that's their problem. At least you did your part to be a good parent.

It's all about our future and our children are our future.

Thank you all for your previous advice. You all settled my nerves and because of her dad and I working hard to get along the case was dismissed. The judge even asked us if we wanted to teach a co-parenting class now that we have faced the bad and come out of it carrying good.

Good luck to everyone having trouble. It is a long journey and my advice would be one thing. Learn to let go and be calm. Breathe... Look at your children when you talk to your co-parent. See the love they have for the both of you in their eyes. Treat your co-parent the way you want to be treated and just see what happens. It's not easy but it is so worth it once you get past the bad.

Thank you...

mistoffolees

Well done, to both of you!
Absolutely agree. If parents would be a bit more reasonable, a lot of attorneys would have to find new jobs (sorry, OG).

Your daughter will thank you!
Hopefully, but maybe not. If the parents do a good enough job of dealing with things as adults, the kids may not even realize how much effort it takes. Being a good parent is sometimes a thankless job, but it's worth doing, anyway.

CJane

Being a good parent is sometimes a thankless job, but it's worth doing, anyway.
I dunno about thankless. The gratitude is just delayed. I can't tell you how many times I've called my mom and thanked her for not leaving me and/or my sisters on the side of the road, or selling us to the gypsies, or eating us when we were young.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I've found that, by the time they get to be slightly older teens (16 and up), they do start getting a glimmer. They may not say it in so many words, but they see the differences between other kids' parents and you. Then when they go off to college, that is really brought home to them - and they're more willing to verbalize it. My oldest has expressed to me a few times how shocked he is at the number of parents treating his friends in college like little kids.

Antigone*

It is good to see that the light has gone on. The winner in this situation is your little one.

~ Amen to that!!!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I wanted to let everyone on here know how things went with Cora's dad and I. I am the mother that has the control issue about how I thought that feeding my daughter sweet potatoes was in fact "endangering" her life.

Welllll, since then my daughter's dad and I have been to a co-parenting class that is offered in our area by child protective services and social services and it did a world of good for our whole family. It made us both more understanding of each other and now we work everything out for the greater good of our daughter's future. We both love her and want the best things for her. I recognize now that I was controlling, overprotective and flat out mean sometimes and I have learned that that doesn't work when it comes to parenting. And her father and I are both parents. We created a beautiful baby girl and there is no sense in us acting the way we were.

The class has helped us figure out how to deal with one another and gave really helpful tips, guidelines and advice on how to work out things and issues that are bound to arise in situations like ours where we are parenting together but living apart. Just because we decided to make a move apart from one another doesn't mean our parenting ends there. We are in it for life and getting along is so much better, so much more relaxing than the fighting and arguing and all we are really doing by arguing and fighting is hurting our sweet girl.

I hope everyone who reads this can stop hiring lawyers, because I have paid mine over 15 grand for practically nothing. While in court split up couples fighting over their child are only hurting one another and making their child and their futures miserable. Who knows your child best? You and your co-parent. Not a judge or a lawyer. Unless there is true abuse or something else going on a lawyer and a judge should not have any part in it. Except maybe at first to lay down some ground rules and schedules for the parents to work from. Getting along with your co-parent and letting them parent their way and you parent your way is the best way to make your children healthier and happier. Communication is the key and it does start with yourself. Make sure you are the better man/woman and it will pay off. The other party will come around and if they don't then that's their problem. At least you did your part to be a good parent.

It's all about our future and our children are our future.

Thank you all for your previous advice. You all settled my nerves and because of her dad and I working hard to get along the case was dismissed. The judge even asked us if we wanted to teach a co-parenting class now that we have faced the bad and come out of it carrying good.

Good luck to everyone having trouble. It is a long journey and my advice would be one thing. Learn to let go and be calm. Breathe... Look at your children when you talk to your co-parent. See the love they have for the both of you in their eyes. Treat your co-parent the way you want to be treated and just see what happens. It's not easy but it is so worth it once you get past the bad.

Thank you...
I am very happy for you all, and especially for your daughter. She is the one who is surely going to benefit the most from parents who can love her, work together and put her first. :D

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Absolutely agree. If parents would be a bit more reasonable, a lot of attorneys would have to find new jobs (sorry, OG).

Hopefully, but maybe not. If the parents do a good enough job of dealing with things as adults, the kids may not even realize how much effort it takes. Being a good parent is sometimes a thankless job, but it's worth doing, anyway.
Don't worry about me. There are more than enough irrational petty selfish egotistical parents to keep me employed until I decide to retire. Though I wish there weren't to a certain extent.

CSO286

Don't worry about me. There are more than enough irrational petty selfish egotistical parents to keep me employed until I decide to retire. Though I wish there weren't to a certain extent.
OG, I know the feeling 100%.

Drinks on me later at the B&G?

MichaCA

I am so happy for you, your child, and the dad. As one who has been through the court system more times than I can remember, I wholeheartedly agree with you, it should be a last resort and for emergency cases...or just the very beginning establishment of custody/visitation.

Sadly, some parents :eek: cannot get a long even with coparent counseling...however I like to think that most parents would learn to coparent there.

The judge asked about you teaching a coparenting class. I don't know your life, but that is such positive feedback, I would seriously consider it!!! I have wondered if all towns had a class like that if some parents could learn more before and maybe save a trip to the court room.

Thanks for sharing.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Also... sometimes co-parenting IS impossible. It is in my situation. But ya know what? It's possible to let it go. I just don't sweat it. If he wants time? He can have time. If he won't pay for something he's supposed to pay for? Eh - I'll find a way to do it. We may have to tighten up some belts, but if it's important enough - it will happen.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Also... sometimes co-parenting IS impossible. It is in my situation. But ya know what? It's possible to let it go. I just don't sweat it. If he wants time? He can have time. If he won't pay for something he's supposed to pay for? Eh - I'll find a way to do it. We may have to tighten up some belts, but if it's important enough - it will happen.
Actually you are coparenting. He isn't.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">