• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there spousal support for ex girlfriends?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

People are paid what they are WORTH in most cases and it has nothing to do with male or female.
With all due respect, poppy****. (really? I wasn't cursing, I assure you all!!)

There are many surveys, non-gender-biased ones at that, that disagree with that statement.

Women in my husband's field (engineering) get paid .97 cents to a man's dollar. In as many as 5 years ago, a woman in the engineering field would have made only roughly .87 cents to a man's dollar. So while the salary is more commiserate now, it still isn't equal.

As for the legal aspect, women no longer have as much occupational preferential treatment as do minorities. A woman owned 8(a) company is less likely to get a contract as a minority owned 8(a) company.

Personally, while I do believe that everyone ~ minority, male, female, et al ~ deserves a fair shake in getting contracts and/or jobs, I do tend to side against the concept of 8(a) classifications. Hiring and contracting should be based on capability, not ethnicity or gender.

mistoffolees

Women in my husband's field (engineering) get paid .97 cents to a man's dollar. In as many as 5 years ago, a woman in the engineering field would have made only roughly .87 cents to a man's dollar. So while the salary is more commiserate now, it still isn't equal.
I don't think 'commiserate' is the word you want.

In any event, some of that has changed - for example, women make 10-20% MORE than men in some engineering and technical fields these days.

Oops. I just gave Bali one more thing to be bitter about. :eek:

ecmst12

And yet, while women and men enter the job market making about the same, across the board men's incomes increase faster and more then women's. The higher the age group, the greater the wage gap.

And yet, while women and men enter the job market making about the same, across the board men's incomes increase faster and more then women's. The higher the age group, the greater the wage gap.
Which is evident even in the US Government's employ (who are bound by stricter regulations to be "fair"). Hubby and female colleague have exactly the same education (down to the same colleges and degrees), exactly the same amount of time in service, exactly the same rave performance reviews, but he is an ND4, while she is an ND3 payscale.

I should mention, however, and this might be solely anecdotal, the former (notice, I said "former") supervisor who decided pay-raises was removed on allegations of harassment and discrimination. The female colleague I cited was but one. A female full PhD also, somehow makes less than my husband (who has not finished his, yet), despite the same number of years in service.

Go figure.

mistoffolees

Again, not always the case. I just saw some figures for engineers and it's not true of engineers.

Furthermore, the oft stated 70 cents per dollar figure is extremely misleading. Women, on average, take more time off and are less likely to be involved in some things that can have a big impact on career progression (international relocation, for example). After correcting for factors like that, there's still a difference, but it's much smaller - something like 10%.

Even for a man, taking a long leave of absence can have a dramatic effect on career path. Or refusal to take an undesirable job because it involves too much travel or time away from home. Like it or not, some of the things required to get ahead in business are anathema to good family life. Women have been less willing to make that sacrifice than men (again, on average).

Bali Hai

Again, not always the case. I just saw some figures for engineers and it's not true of engineers.

Furthermore, the oft stated 70 cents per dollar figure is extremely misleading. Women, on average, take more time off and are less likely to be involved in some things that can have a big impact on career progression (international relocation, for example). After correcting for factors like that, there's still a difference, but it's much smaller - something like 10%.

Even for a man, taking a long leave of absence can have a dramatic effect on career path. Or refusal to take an undesirable job because it involves too much travel or time away from home. Like it or not, some of the things required to get ahead in business are anathema to good family life. Women have been less willing to make that sacrifice than men (again, on average).
If someone isn't willing to position themselves as an asset and become a great value to their employer, they are less likely to receive comparable pay to someone who will do that (male or female). You can't just sit back, do the minimum and say, "I'm in the same position as so-and-so and I deserve the same compensation". They can conduct all the surveys they want and spin it anyway they want, but that's the reality.

So the bottom line here is that the law tries to close that gap with alimony and palimony. In this arena, the high performer loses and the just get by performer wins. There is no incentive for some people to do better.

The rationalization for this position (women get paid $0.97 on the dollar that men get paid) is just that, RATIONALIZATION. These people need to grow up and expect to be paid at the top for top performance and stop making excuses.

Patse3839

There is no law to cover this; you would have been more responsible had you drawn a written contract before moving in together (and Ya'Ya' would tell you that you were going to He!!), in no court will your claim be recognized. Unfotunate, but consider a living contract with your next prospect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">