• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sub-Contractor Bad-Mouths Me to Client

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

threepeas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I brought a sub-contractor onto a project (I'm an interior designer) to complete a portion of a job. After he begun to work in the client's home, I soon received an e-mail from the client releasing me from our contratual agreement, that they would no longer require my services.

Months later I find out from a reputable source that the sub-contractor had bad-mouthed me to the client, telling them I was going to mark-up his invoice and bill them the increased amount, etc., which is what caused the client to no longer use my services.

Without anything from the client directly, only a source that would be hearsay, do I have any type of a case to take this guy to small claims for defamation of character and/or slander? If I were to obtain a statement from the client, would I then? What amount would be reasonable?

Thank you.

justalayman

Months later I find out from a reputable source that the sub-contractor had bad-mouthed me to the client, telling them I was going to mark-up his invoice and bill them the increased amount, etc., which is what caused the client to no longer use my services.

Without anything from the client directly, only a source that would be hearsay, do I have any type of a case to take this guy to small claims for defamation of character and/or slander? If I were to obtain a statement from the client, would I then? What amount would be reasonable?
are you saying you don't mark up the subs invoice and bill the customer the increased amount? If you don't, I think you must be the only person in the country that doesn't.

If it was a lie, you might have a claim for defamation or tortuous interference with a business relationship. If it was true, then it is true and there really isn't much you can do about it.

quincy

Ditto everything justalayman said and one addition: "Witness" testimony is generally what is relied on to support a slander action, along with evidence of reputational harm that has resulted from the defamatory communication. Without a showing of significant reputational injury, however, slander suits are rarely worth pursuing, as the costs of the action often exceed any damages that may be awarded.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">