• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the worst senario ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mimi3311

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I hit the car that was stopping at the red light because of weather condition (slippery road condition), I admitted 100% at my fault.
The speed was slow (probably 15 mph) and a small accident. The other vehicle damage was very minor on its bumper and so was mine(almost nothing). I am not injured, the other driver was fine at that time.
However one who was in passenger seat was taken by the ambulance, her husband said that it's just in case at that time.

A week later I was informed by my insurance company that the other party (driver and the passenger) hired an attorney and sue me.
My insurance policy limit is $100,000 for bodily injury liability each person.

1. In this small accident, is there any posibility to be awarded to the other
party more than $100,000 to the other party ?

2. The letter I received from my insurance company stated I am 100% at
fault because of failure to maintain proper speed/distance.
In fact, the reason in this letter was not true. It is because of road
condition by weather.
Should I request review of this determination to my insurance company?
or is it unnecessary issue to do so ?

3. Another letter from my insurance company stated that the other party's
attorney requested to disclose my insurance policy limits and my
insurance company wants me to sign for release my policy limits.
Is it Ok to sign ? Do I take any disadvantage by release my policy
limits ?

This is my very first accident in my clean 35 years driving life. I heard horrible stories by a couple people such as house taken or into bankruptcy the result of causing an accident. I am so scared now.

Any advice/comments/suggestion would be appreciated.
Thank you very much for your time and help in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

No one here can say if a judgment will go over 100K. And if the road conditions are slippery that would require you to slow down & give a longer berth to traffic. Weather does not cause accidents.

You need to speak with you insurance company.

Are you going to increase your insurance coverage now?

ShyCat

2. The letter I received from my insurance company stated I am 100% at fault because of failure to maintain proper speed/distance. In fact, the reason in this letter was not true. It is because of road condition by weather.
Your insurance company is 100% correct. You failed to maintain proper speed/distance for current road conditions, as evidenced by you rear-ending someone.

3. Another letter from my insurance company stated that the other party's
attorney requested to disclose my insurance policy limits and my
insurance company wants me to sign for release my policy limits.
Is it Ok to sign ? Do I take any disadvantage by release my policy
limits ?
You can voluntarily release the information now or wait until discovery at trial. The other party is probably wondering if their bills are going to be covered, e.g. they have $35K in medical bills and are worried that if your limit is lowered will they ever get the rest. I don't see the harm in it as they'll eventually find out the limit anyways.

Last edited:

ecmst12

It's POSSIBLE that the injuries could be more than 100k, but unlikely, and no sense worrying about it now.

mimi3311

Thank you for all .

To Free_Advice, " Are you going to increase your insurance coverage now? "

I even didn't think it is possible to do it after the accident occured, I will talk to my insurance company.

Thanks again.

ecmst12

You can increase your coverage any time you want but it won't affect the accident you already have. But $100k is pretty good coverage.

mimi3311

Thank you for your time to Free_Advice.
It sounds me that I just follow what my insurance company request me to do and just wait.
But all representative I spoke on phone were rude and unkind and I've never gotten any answer to my questions.
It is not easy to feel comfortable with my insurance company without the trust.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">