• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parenting time and the effect on child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaizen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I am the custodial parent trying to keep some peace in a custody petition. I am on disability. Son's father pays support. If I were to give him 25 extra overnights a year could he then petition for a reduction is support? If so, how would my income being disability vs his being significantly higher factor into it?

Also, if I were to give him the 25 extra overnights a year (legally documented and signed via the courts) with a stipulation that it not change the support payments, couldn't he at any point in the future ask to revisit that and have his support obligation modified? There is no way to make that a non issue in the future, is there?

Thank you.

LillianX

The judge has discretion here, and may or may not reduce support. with 25 overnights, it's a crapshoot.

The judge will look at what is in the best interest of the child, and should it be determined that spending more time with the NCP is in his or her best interest, the judge will allow it.

kaizen

And just like in a support matter (if I'm correct?), regardless of what i ruled now it can always be revisited later. Is that correct?

I'm trying to both meet his request that all he wants is more time with our son and hold him to his statement that is it not about money, without making it financially impossible for me in the process.

CSO286

And just like in a support matter (if I'm correct?), regardless of what i ruled now it can always be revisited later. Is that correct?

I'm trying to both meet his request that all he wants is more time with our son and hold him to his statement that is it not about money, without making it financially impossible for me in the process.
True: The visitation issue is flexible and modifiable.

And you cannot expect that he wouldn't pursue a child support reduction if the increase in overnights meets your states guidelines for a reduction. That is only fair.

To limit his access to his child because it benefits you financially is extremely bad form.

If you are unable to live without his support, what are you planning to do once this child emancipates?

kaizen

Where can I find out the state guidelines for a reduction...where the threshold on overnight visits is?

kaizen

Child support doesn't help me "support myself":confused:

Thanks for the tip though and for being concerned and thoughtful about the rest of my life. I'm good by the time that (son turns 18) happens.

Silverplum

Child support doesn't help me "support myself":confused:

Thanks for the tip though and for being concerned and thoughtful about the rest of my life. I'm good by the time that (son turns 18) happens.
Yes, it does. That much is very clear by your posts.

Or else you wouldn't be trying to limit Dad's time with his son to the number of dates that wouldn't lower your CS.

I wouldn't help you do that. I find it morally wrong.

kaizen

You're wrong.

Bills for me alone - completely doable in my financial position alone.

Add a child in there and an additional rent cost relevant (extra bedroom.)

Lots of extra in grocery budget (he's a teenager)!

School sports and equipment (substantial each year).

Gas for his three time weekly medical appointments? (cha-ching)

And so on.

Me...alone on the ocean in a few years with my income solely? Perfect.

Dad who has just lost his home to foreclosure/filed bankruptcy being held accountable to his statement that this plea is only about additional parenting time and not about money being held accountable for his words = priceless. :)

Have a great day.

CSO286

You're wrong.

Bills for me alone - completely doable in my financial position alone.
So, until the child turns 18 and moves out of your home, you're perfectly oki with restricting Dad's access, becasue of the costs associated with being a parent? This is what you are attempting to do.

I said it before, but perhaps it needs to be restated: Restricting Dad's access to you MUTUAL child (you know, HIS, too!) because it benefits you financially is craptacular parenting.

If you cannot afford to provide for your child without the child support (because what if Dad lost his job or quit paying for any other reason), then perhaps you ought to give Dad custody of Junior and you can help Dad out by paying child support.

Silverplum

So, until the child turns 18 and moves out of your home, you're perfectly oki with restricting Dad's access, becasue of the costs associated with being a parent? This is what you are attempting to do.

I said it before, but perhaps it needs to be restated: Restricting Dad's access to you MUTUAL child (you know, HIS, too!) because it benefits you financially is craptacular parenting.

If you cannot afford to provide for your child without the child support (because what if Dad lost his job or quit paying for any other reason), then perhaps you ought to give Dad custody of Junior and you can help Dad out by paying child support.
This thread/author made me crazy. :mad:

kaizen

Open your minds. Not everybody is a bad guy.

Dad has three weekends a month right now and the typical 50/50 split on the holidays.

I am not trying to be nasty to anyone. I am actually trying to be kind and accommodate what I consider to be an unreasonable request for more parenting time in light of the frequency he already has.

But to do so at such as cost to me and my son to then have to rearrange our lives here together would be stupid. Gotta be pragmatic too, you know.

Bash on. Cuz the next person will come along from the other side and you may very well ask them why they aren't more open minded and willing to gather information and explore things before saying 'no way'.

From where I come from, asking questions is a good thing.

CSO286

Dad has three weekends a month right now and the typical 50/50 split on the holidays.

I am not trying to be nasty to anyone. I am actually trying to be kind and accommodate what I consider to be an unreasonable request for more parenting time in light of the frequency he already has.

But to do so at such as cost to me and my son to then have to rearrange our lives here together would be stupid. Gotta be pragmatic too, you know.

Bash on. Cuz the next person will come along from the other side and you may very well ask them why they aren't more open minded and willing to gather information and explore things before saying 'no way'.

Ok, then.

Why is not in the child's best interests to spend time with Dad?

Silverplum

I feel so much smarter now, having been skooled by a master manipulator.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">