• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arrested - domestic violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

conf43

new jersey
Friend of mine got arrested for domestic violece. the plaintiff is to drop charges but he is still in jail. how can i get him out? hearing last week did not lower bail, currently set on 100K bond, 10k cash.

Silverplum

new jersey
Friend of mine got arrested for domestic violece. the plaintiff is to drop charges
Says whom????

Did you know that, in our American system of government, the "plaintiff" is not the one who "files charges" and has no responsibility as to what the legal system will do to the charged person?

conf43 said:
but he is still in jail. how can i get him out? hearing last week did not lower bail, currently set on 100K bond, 10k cash.
Pay the $10K cash.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
new jersey
Friend of mine got arrested for domestic violece. the plaintiff is to drop charges but he is still in jail. how can i get him out? hearing last week did not lower bail, currently set on 100K bond, 10k cash.
Victims of domestic violence frequently don't want to press charges. This is due to an often-times misguided sense of loyalty/love. That is why the state steps in.

conf43

Says whom????

Did you know that, in our American system of government, the "plaintiff" is not the one who "files charges" and has no responsibility as to what the legal system will do to the charged person?

Pay the $10K cash.
i know both of them, unfortunate misunderstanding, she's withdrawing. can a lawyer get him out on ROR?

CdwJava

i know both of them, unfortunate misunderstanding, she's withdrawing. can a lawyer get him out on ROR?
She has no say in whether or not the state pursues criminal charges. The state usually expects the victim to recant.

Oddly enough, women will lie and risk jail themselves to protect their abusers ... sad, really.

A lawyer might be able to get him out on his own recognizance, but that depends on local policy and state law.

CSO286

new jersey
And just how badly did he hurt her to require $10K in cash to get out???!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

CSO286

A misundertanding is me thinking Zigner has the FA Crystal Ball when Proserpina actually has it.

A misunderstanding is me telling little CSO to wash the whites and the colors and she puts them all in together and I have pink underwear.

Violence to the tune of a $100K bond with $10 cash---not a misunderstanding.

dmcc10880

Unfortunately, your friend is screwed. He's in the system and regardless of what did or did not happen, he is in a position to prove his innocence. Interesting that one must prove his innocence as our court system dictates that you're innocent until proven guilty. So, here's his chances... bail out for $10k, spend another $5-10k on a lawyer and see what happens. The alleged victim has no say in the matter, it's in the state's hands.

CSO286

Unfortunately, your friend is screwed. He's in the system and regardless of what did or did not happen, he is in a position to prove his innocence. Interesting that one must prove his innocence as our court system dictates that you're innocent until proven guilty. So, here's his chances... bail out for $10k, spend another $5-10k on a lawyer and see what happens. The alleged victim has no say in the matter, it's in the state's hands.
Do you have even a rudimentary understanding of the psychology of domestic violence?

never mind

dmcc10880

How does one "misunderstand" an assault? And that the bail is set at 100K says A LOT about this situation.
Just because one was arrested and a bond was set does not mean that the person is guilty. The number of false dv claims are astounding. Not to say that dv does not exist and not to say that it's extremely serious, but false claims are prevalent, especially when dealing with divorce and other issues that may place one person in a perceptively advantageous position in a different court.

Just Blue

Just because one was arrested and a bond was set does not mean that the person is guilty. The number of false dv claims are astounding. Not to say that dv does not exist and not to say that it's extremely serious, but false claims are prevalent, especially when dealing with divorce and other issues that may place one person in a perceptively advantageous position in a different court.
I agree. But a DV complaint without notable injuries are unlikely to have a bail set at 100k. The vic had to have some SERIOUS damage...Or the PERP had to have a serious criminal Hx to have this high bail.

CdwJava

Of course, no where does the OP state that his friend claims not to have committed the crime, only that the victim wants to drop the charges (which happens in more than 75% of cases - even the valid ones.

If you truly understood the psychology involved in domestic violence you would know why victims will lie and face jail in order to protect their abusers. You might not understand or comprehend the reasoning, but it is there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">