• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any rights as a landlord? PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Searchertwin

But, BUBBA cannot tell if the mold is dangerous or not. If the mold IS dangerous, then Mr. Attorney is going to have a field day with our OP.

The cheap comes out expensive...
If a tenant cries mold and he went to an attorney with that only complaint, than the lawyer and tenant would add the following to make a case. Things like; "I am sick all the time", I can't breathe, My allergies skyrocket each time I enter that house....Do I need to go on?

In this case NOTHING LIKE THAT WAS MENTION.
Which indicates it was only mold and not the DANGEROUS mold that you seem to indicate. Lawyer using scare tactics. Common sense.

Think about it.:rolleyes: Take care

Gail in Georgia

If it were me, I'd provide adequate written notice that I was going to enter the rental unit to check out where this "mold" is located so I can determine who to contact if this is a repair issue.

I suspect that the "mold" is either 1. mildew in the bathroom or 2. nonexistent.

Gail

questions1

Upon request, the attorney did forward one photo of "the mold" from the tenant, but it is so blurry and completely unclear as to what it even is. I am in another state (I moved to return to college), so I cannot easily get to PA. May I hire someone to act as my agent to enter the house? [/B](I did not previously have a property manager because until the last few months, the tenant was actually very good (I thought). Things changed when his wife started calling me and told me they had separated, and his behavior has totally changed.

Obviously, I am not going to find a tenant to move in the day after he leaves if we cannot show it until then, so, my understanding is he is responsible for the rent until a new tenant moves in.

IF there is mold, doesn't he have a legal responsibility to notify me asap? Do tenants have responsibility if they do not report an issue to the landlord that could have been corrected earlier if they had done so? Thank You

Searchertwin

Upon request, the attorney did forward one photo of "the mold" from the tenant, but it is so blurry and completely unclear as to what it even is.
That's why it was blurry, tenant knew this.

Yes, you can hire someone to represent you on your behalf. You should have kept the property manager. Send format letter to tenant and to the one you are hiring. State since emergency he will be entering the house.

Tenant should have sent you a crr letter stating that there is mold giving you a chance to fix the problem. His lack of doing so indicates that you knew nothing about it and was not given the opportunity to fix.
( keys words)

Tenant is still liable for the rent. 1) He did not notify you of a present problem
2) He just up and left using the excuse he found mold.
3) No notice No nothing
4) Give notice to pay or quit
5) No response or money, start eviction within the courts

If you don't want all the hassle, let it go. Get rid of him. Hire someone to go in and clean to get ready for next tenant.
Hire someone to watch property. Use deposit for what it was design for. Return remaining deposit to tenant by crr letter within time limits of your state along with pictures, itemized list of damages and let it go. Not worth the trouble.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">