• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about unemployment benefit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hotdoggy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I receive unemployment benefit.
Fourtunately I had job but it was too much for me so I quit.
I worked for 4 days and got check about $150 total.
I didn't claim weekly benefit that week.

I don't know if I can still receive benefit or not.

Because I quit my job this time.
And I didn't claim that I worked that week.
When I tried to claim as "worked" it showed up company's tax number and
many other things and I got annoyed so just claimed as "I didn't claim benefit last week but not because I worked".
I still have the check and I won't put it in my bank.
Because I didn't say I worked. So the check is just a piece of paper to me.

I try to find a job everyday and sent resume and had interviews
but haven't got any job offer.
So I still claim unemployment benefit.

Did I do something wrong?
Should I tell them what I did?
I don't want to get any peneltie.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I receive unemployment benefit.
Fourtunately I had job but it was too much for me so I quit.
I worked for 4 days and got check about $150 total.
I didn't claim weekly benefit that week.

I don't know if I can still receive benefit or not.

Because I quit my job this time.
And I didn't claim that I worked that week.
When I tried to claim as "worked" it showed up company's tax number and
many other things and I got annoyed so just claimed as "I didn't claim benefit last week but not because I worked".
I still have the check and I won't put it in my bank.
Because I didn't say I worked. So the check is just a piece of paper to me.

I try to find a job everyday and sent resume and had interviews
but haven't got any job offer.
So I still claim unemployment benefit.

Did I do something wrong?
Should I tell them what I did?
I don't want to get any peneltie.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Do you really want to commit fraud?

commentator

Yes, because whether you cashed the check or not, which incidentally, you really should cash it, because it doesn't make a bit of difference to the unemployment system whether you got that money or not, (unemplolyment has nothing to do with being low income) you still are committing fraud if you are continuing to file for weeks of unemployment.

Because now the job you were laid off from and drawing on before you took that week's job is not your last job. The job you quit is your last job. And they will need to make a decision about whether or not you quit the last job for a good work related reason. If they determine this to be the case, you can start back on your benefits with full permission.

Any money you receive from now on, having not told them about this job, is going to be considered overpayment. Fraud, because you know you are doing it and lying about it.

When you worked at this job, the employer filed a record for the employer tax system of the wages you were paid whether you cashed your paycheck or not. Your social security number will cross match automatically with the numbers of people who were paid unemployment that week. You will be caught, you will be contacted, and you WILL be expected to pay the money back. If you ignore the overpayment notices, you can be prosecuted.

Call them immediately, explain the situation, and stop filing for weeks, because you are most definitely committing fraud by doing so. And I think you know it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">