• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paper trail missing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

California

My attorney closed her practice, and I did not receive my file, but I did receive notice that I could have it. I cannot find that notice and am unsure as to where files are sent after an attorney closes down. Does anyone have any direction on where to start looking for my paperwork?

nextwife

Did they have an associate with whom they shared either an office or practice? Have you tried to find them through white pages/ internet search to ask? Dp they perhaps have a second generation who may have taken over the practice?

Did they have an associate with whom they shared either an office or practice? Have you tried to find them through white pages/ internet search to ask? Dp they perhaps have a second generation who may have taken over the practice?
No, she was the only attorney and owned the practice. I have tried calling, to no avail. She sent out notice that the files were going to be housed somewhere, but I can't recall where, and I am unable to find that notice.

I'm at a loss because my ex is threatening to take me back to court, I have no attorney and can't afford a new one. So, I've got to create a case by myself. Since I have no legal experience or training and no knowledge as to where to begin, I thought getting my former attorney's full file might be a good place to begin.

mistoffolees

No, she was the only attorney and owned the practice. I have tried calling, to no avail. She sent out notice that the files were going to be housed somewhere, but I can't recall where, and I am unable to find that notice.

I'm at a loss because my ex is threatening to take me back to court, I have no attorney and can't afford a new one. So, I've got to create a case by myself. Since I have no legal experience or training and no knowledge as to where to begin, I thought getting my former attorney's full file might be a good place to begin.
Try calling your local legal aid referral service - or perhaps even the court clerk. They may know who is taking on most of your attorney's cases.

The other option you have is to get a copy of the file from the court house. That will have any existing orders but won't have your attorney's work papers. For your purposes, that may be enough.

LdiJ

Almost everything that would have been in your attorney's file would also be in your file at the courthouse. Therefore you can get a copy there. There would likely be a small fee for copying.

cokegirl42

all great posts!

any court documents can be obtained at THAT specific court house ,BUT, at the same time if there was other documents in that file i would be looking for that notice night and day, because it seems as though it may be finding gold

best of luck to you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">