• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tallen2k4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

How much time must pass where the other parent fails to make contact, visit or file for any visitation/custody before its considered child abandonment or compelete parental disinterest? I'm talking in the terms of having parental rights revoked.

CourtClerk

At least a year. That includes no payment of child support.

And that's also providing that there IS a legally established parent.

tallen2k4

I'm not wanting to have his rights revoked just using it to warn him what may happen if he doesn't put forth effort to see his daughter and support her. He was ordered child support in December 2010 and after the first payment "lost his job" he has made no effort to see her and doesn't even call. I'm doing everything in my power to assure my daughter has a relationship with her father but he needs to do his part. He claims he cares about her tremendously yet only sees her when I bring her to see him.. He lives 3 hours away and claims thats thr reason for his uninvolvment. I'm also concerned about his older daughter who he hasn't seen since November 2010 and not due to a lack of trying on his part. Her mom will definitely file for revocation if possible just to spite him and to fit her own agenda.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

So you want to threaten him and issue an ultimatum? That's real mature.

You do realize how infrequently CA courts terminate a parents parental rights just because you want them terminated, right? And if that's the thought process and the mindset you have, I'd say it's not a good idea anyway...

tallen2k4

So you want to threaten him and issue an ultimatum? That's real mature.

You do realize how infrequently CA courts terminate a parents parental rights just because you want them terminated, right? And if that's the thought process and the mindset you have, I'd say it's not a good idea anyway...
It is not my intention to attempt to have his rights revoked. I only want him to know what can happen if he does not put in effort to be involved in her life and help support her. I'm more worried his other child's mother will attemtp to take this route because if he loses his rights to her my daughter will never have a chance to see or know her sister.

CourtClerk

It is not my intention to attempt to have his rights revoked. I only want him to know what can happen if he does not put in effort to be involved in her life and help support her. I'm more worried his other child's mother will attemtp to take this route because if he loses his rights to her my daughter will never have a chance to see or know her sister.
What happens with someone else's child is none of your business. Your daughter may never have a chance to meet that child even if his rights are kept in tact. That's the chance that was taken when their parents procreated irresponsibly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">