• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Coinage Act of 1965 and Illinois Vehicle Code

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OHRoadwarrior

I have been putting the permit on my dashboard in front of the steering wheel. Very visible. The policy is on the back of the tag. It says I am required to have the tag on my "rear-view mirror." The vehicle code is says I don't have to have a "rear-view mirror." Specifically, a mirror on my windshield. They are requiring me to place a tag on a mirror that the state is not requiring me to have. Therefore, I shouldn't be ticketed for this.
Sue them. However, just as you may be required to have books for class, I think you will find they can require a rearview mirror for permits.

Floridatrail

Re-read what the answer to the first question on the webpage you linked states.

A parking ticket is a debt. It is not a good or service. There is a difference here.
That statement from the treasury dept. to which you are referring to is discussing a private business, person, and organization. It's a shortened version of saying "a private business, a private person, and a private organization." It's not saying "a private business, public person, and public organization." The adjective is referring to "private" business, person, and organization. And, I did e-mail the chief of police there. He does agree that I have a debt with the college in the form of a fine.

justalayman

I know I can't force them. That's a given. But, I want to do what I'm entitled legally to do. I think you are implying that it's childish that I'm doing this. It's little childish acts like this that remind police officers out there that a few people still care about one's rights and abilities. However small, insignificant, or childish it may seem.
You think the person that ticketed you will even know you tried to pay in pennies or any other method? No, they won't so the only person you are bothering is the person behind the counter you are trying to make accept the pennies.

and honestly, I have a cure for anybody that tries to pay with pennies or any other method meant to be a pain in the ass.

You would be required to stand there while I counted the pennies to be sure I didn't short change you,

578, 579,
what's that bob? No, I don't need any help.

Now where was I? Dang,

1, 2, 3, 4...

oops, I dropped a few pennies. Hold on while I look for them. Not sure how many dropped so I'm going to be very thorough.

So, where was I?

Oh ya,

1, 2, 3, 4
Dang, look at that, it's coffee break time. I'll have to start over when I get back.

so,

925, 926, 927..
oh look, it's time to go home. I guess you'll have to come back tomorrow and we'll start all over.

Then, if you are dedicated enough to stay, we'll count them again to verify the first count and lo and behold, I don't get the same number. Third time's a charm.

I get paid by the hour and it sure looks like the people behind you are getting really tired of waiting. Hold on a minute while I tell them why it is taking so long. I'll be sure to give them your address so they can send you a thank you note.

LillianX

I understand what you are saying. Is it worth it? Yes and no. But, more yes. I'm doing this because I have the ability to protest policy and the shaky rationale to justify giving me a ticket three times in order to get money for the college. I have all my "ducks in a row" regarding graduation however. I'm not a half-***student. I've worked for the college and sustained a higher than average GPA. I have several faculty and students backing me on this. So, do I want a dean to remember the one student who stood up for those rules and policies that are dictated in the handbook? Definitely.
If you're in college, statistically, you're probably young. You are going to have SO many more crusades in your life over which to fight. I'm telling you, as a completely impartial third party, that someday, if you want to go to grad school or law school or whatever, and you're calling around for letters of reference, you do NOT want the dean to remember this incident. You don't get to see the letters, or their content. They go straight to the school to which you are applying.

Actually, you know what? Some of my classmates and professors have been the most pedantic, excruciating people I've ever met, so if you want to go to law school someday, crusade on. Otherwise, heed my warning. You'd be well advised to just pay them like the rest of the world and go about your life. Pennies, dude. You're crusading over pennies.

Floridatrail

well, I guess you are up **** creek without a paddle then. If it states you have to hang it on your rear view mirror, then that is where you have to hang it. Since you don't have one, I guess you cannot comply with the law and will continue to receive tickets.

Maybe you need to get one of those little suction cups with a hook on it so you can hang your tag.
If I wasn't complying with the law, then why haven't received a ticket about lack of rear-view mirror. I believe I am in compliance. Look here: 625 ILCS 5/ Illinois Vehicle Code.

Under Section 502 it states:
(625 ILCS 5/12‑502) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑502)
Sec. 12‑502. Mirrors. Every motor vehicle, operated singly or when towing another vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such motor vehicle.
(Source: P.A. 82‑122.)

There is no requirement for a mirror being on my "windshield." The college is requiring me to hang a tag on a mirror that I don't have to have. I shouldn't have received a ticket. And, if I were breaking the law as you say, I would've received a "mirror" related ticket because the college's police are given the powers of typical city or state police via Illinois Compiled Statutes, Public Community College Act Chapter 110, Act 805, Sec. 42.1. And, not a "failure to display properly" ticket.

justalayman

However, the community college is publicly funded and therefore, according to my understanding, the college is required to accept the pennies.
What does the college being publicly funded have to do with it? People on welfare are publicly funded too. Does that mean they have to accept pennies as payment for a debt?

Floridatrail

If you're in college, statistically, you're probably young. You are going to have SO many more crusades in your life over which to fight. I'm telling you, as a completely impartial third party, that someday, if you want to go to grad school or law school or whatever, and you're calling around for letters of reference, you do NOT want the dean to remember this incident. You don't get to see the letters, or their content. They go straight to the school to which you are applying.

Actually, you know what? Some of my classmates and professors have been the most pedantic, excruciating people I've ever met, so if you want to go to law school someday, crusade on. Otherwise, heed my warning. You'd be well advised to just pay them like the rest of the world and go about your life. Pennies, dude. You're crusading over pennies.
Law isn't my "thing" or rather my niche. Ya know? I'm a nursing student. Yes, I'm young. I'm 23. Yes, this is a crusade over something so little as pennies. Believe me, several people including the people here have attempted to say the same, "just pay it." It's more than pennies at this point. It's saying "no" when the coinage act says "yes." It's authorities in power that utilize a badge to get his or her's way. It's a lay-person using the law to his advantage for a change. It's an officer that said, "I don't care what's in your student handbook." It's prior experiences with police officers that have led me to make a big deal over pennies and to stand up among so many who would "just pay it." No offense.

justalayman

If I wasn't complying with the law, then why haven't received a ticket about lack of rear-view mirror. I believe I am in compliance. Look here: 625*ILCS*5/*Illinois Vehicle Code.

Under Section 502 it states:
(625 ILCS 5/12‑502) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑502)
Sec. 12‑502. Mirrors. Every motor vehicle, operated singly or when towing another vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such motor vehicle.
(Source: P.A. 82‑122.)

There is no requirement for a mirror being on my "windshield." The college is requiring me to hang a tag on a mirror that I don't have to have. I shouldn't have received a ticket. And, if I were breaking the law as you say, I would've received a "mirror" related ticket because the college's police are given the powers of typical city or state police via Illinois Compiled Statutes, Public Community College Act Chapter 110, Act 805, Sec. 42.1. And, not a "failure to display properly" ticket.
I never said you have to have a rearview mirror. I said the requirement is you place your hang tag on a rearview mirror.

It's your conundrum but bottom line: if you do not have a rearview mirror, you cannot comply with the law and are going to get a ticket for failing to comply with the law.

Floridatrail

What does the college being publicly funded have to do with it? People on welfare are publicly funded too. Does that mean they have to accept pennies as payment for a debt?
Legal Tender Status

According to the link above, pennies are legal tender. Private people, businesses, and organizations can make policies that say, "we don't accept pennies" or something similar. I'm saying the college is public related to state funding via FAFSA grants and funding in general to keep the college functioning. Therefore, the college is public, the pennies are legal tender, and I want to pay with pennies.

Floridatrail

I never said you have to have a rearview mirror. I said the requirement is you place your hang tag on a rearview mirror.

It's your conundrum but bottom line: if you do not have a rearview mirror, you cannot comply with the law and are going to get a ticket for failing to comply with the law.
My mistake. I apologize.

Floridatrail

I'm not familiar with people on welfare or the legality surrounding it. I couldn't say whether or not.

justalayman

Law isn't my "thing" or rather my niche. Ya know? I'm a nursing student. Yes, I'm young. I'm 23. Yes, this is a crusade over something so little as pennies. Believe me, several people including the people here have attempted to say the same, "just pay it." It's more than pennies at this point. It's saying "no" when the coinage act says "yes." It's authorities in power that utilize a badge to get his or her's way. It's a lay-person using the law to his advantage for a change. It's an officer that said, "I don't care what's in your student handbook." It's prior experiences with police officers that have led me to make a big deal over pennies and to stand up among so many who would "just pay it." No offense.

let me tell you what is going to happen if they continue to refuse pennies and you continue to insist on paying with pennies.

You are going to have an unpaid ticket. When it comes time to graduate, you won't. If you want a copy of your transcripts, you won't get them. If you try to transfer to another school, they will not forward your transcripts until the ticket is paid.

If you want a stand off, they are in a great position. You, not so much.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">