• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant Eviction Period

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I live in what apartments controlled/owned by county housing authority. We'd live here for 10 years and never neighbor problems till now...To make a very long (year straight) story short we finally wrote our property manager with a 2-3 page complaint. But it seemed to fall on deaf ears until the semi annual maintenance inspection came around.
It seems our neighbors utterly failed when maintenance discovered severe and mysterious wall damage. The two neighbors (male/female) are in the early 20's and quite the liars (and worse). Our walls are very thin so its easy to hear everything, I dont really have to listen next to a wall (their constant foul language arguing, etc, etc)
They were confronted by both head of maintenance and property management about damage which can be defined as not common. Now we believe they are facing eviction.
Another tenant near us also was evicted, they have two children and were ordered out in 2 weeks. We heard our neighbors say "2 weeks notice". Our neighbors also have two children.
Ive been in apartments all my life, raised in the business. I always thought with children you legally have 30 days or more to leave? or has this been updated over the years to 2 weeks notice?

OHRoadwarrior

In PA, the term can be 1 day, if your lease states that. Otherwise, absent a specific term listed, the default is 30 days for a month to month tenant and 15 days for a year lease.

Gail in Georgia

One wonders why any of this is your business in the first place. It would appear that you spend an unhealthy amount of time sticking your nose into other tenants issues.

Legally a landlord/management cannot evict anyone. Only a court can grant an actual eviction. The landlord/management must start the ball rolling by providing the tenant with the appropriate written notice to remedy whatever the situation (i.e., owed rent, damages to the property, pets where such are not allowed, etc.). How much time the tenant has to remedy the situation depends on what the issue is.

If it is not remedied within this period of time, the next step is filing for eviction. If granted, the fact that the tenant has children plays no role in the time frame of when this will occur. Since evictions are typically overseen by someone from law enforcement (to make certain things do not become violent and that all steps legally appropriate for that state are taken), when this occurs is often dependent on the schedule of this law enforcement.

Gail

convoy71

One wonders why any of this is your business in the first place. It would appear that you spend an unhealthy amount of time sticking your nose into other tenants issues.

They have been a thorn in our side for a straight year...There are TOO MANY DETAILS...But take my word for it...They're ignorant, inconsiderate, loud, disgusting, repulsive, lazy, pathetic...etc. Thats just from wall side...then act like normal outside. Property management told us too call the police, I doubt that would work if not escalate the problem...Because it did escalate...But I would not call the police until it became violent...Im not drawing first blood.

DeenaCA

I live in what apartments controlled/owned by county housing authority.
What kind of assisted housing is it? Is it public housing? Some of the assisted housing programs have regulatory requirements for termination of tenancy, which may override state landlord-tenant law

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">