• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Past Unemployment Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tinkertron

In California: My long time girlfriend who is a designer lost her job at the very end of 2009. She started receiving UI benefits at the beginning of 2010 and she continued her claim until November 7th of that year. In total, about 45 weeks of benefits. The issue is that during those 45 weeks she would occasionally take on small freelance/contract jobs. She did not claim her earnings at all in her bi-weekly questionnaire. By the end of the year all those side jobs amounted to over $22k! Eeek! We brought this to the attention of our accountant at income tax time who advised that my girl could conceal the 22k as being earned within the last 7 weeks of that year when she was no longer receiving benefits to avoid repercussions. And so she did. The earnings were reported in her income taxes along with the UI benefits. My girl has since been happily employed in a new job for 10 months now.

Though its been 10 months now this whole thing still lingers in the back of my mind. I am worried that her deed might be uncovered and thus charges brought upon her. Is this something that could still happen or can we consider her to be in the clear and be able to put this event behind us? Also, what happens should she lose her current job and have to claim for benefits again? Will her new UI application likely bring to light the past fraud? Our accountant advised us that in such an event - so long as she sticks to our story as to when she made her 22k income for 2010 - she should be ok.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Antigone*

In California: My long time girlfriend who is a designer lost her job at the very end of 2009. She started receiving UI benefits at the beginning of 2010 and she continued her claim until November 7th of that year. In total, about 45 weeks of benefits. The issue is that during those 45 weeks she would occasionally take on small freelance/contract jobs. She did not claim her earnings at all in her bi-weekly questionnaire. By the end of the year all those side jobs amounted to over $22k! Eeek! We brought this to the attention of our accountant at income tax time who advised that my girl could conceal the 22k as being earned within the last 7 weeks of that year when she was no longer receiving benefits to avoid repercussions. And so she did. The earnings were reported in her income taxes along with the UI benefits. My girl has since been happily employed in a new job for 10 months now.

Though its been 10 months now this whole thing still lingers in the back of my mind. I am worried that her deed might be uncovered and thus charges brought upon her. Is this something that could still happen or can we consider her to be in the clear and be able to put this event behind us? Also, what happens should she lose her current job and have to claim for benefits again? Will her new UI application likely bring to light the past fraud? Our accountant advised us that in such an event - so long as she sticks to our story as to when she made her 22k income for 2010 - she should be ok.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
No way any respected member of this forum will make you feel good about what your girlfriend and her accountant did. That was so very unethical of him, he should lose his license. I wonder what other frauds this idiot is perpetrating.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Fraud would be easy enough to prove via an audit of your GF's banking records. Because unless there was a 22K deposit made in during the last 7 weeks of the year, it would be obvious that she was committing fraud. As a taxpayer, I hope she gets caught.

Antigone*

Fraud would be easy enough to prove via an audit of your GF's banking records. Because unless there was a 22K deposit made in during the last 7 weeks of the year, it would be obvious that she was committing fraud. As a taxpayer, I hope she gets caught.
I would hope that the CPA who signed her return also gets smacked!

I hope the lump in their throat and that sick feeling in their tummies get worse each time the phone rings, or every time an official piece of mail gets delivered.

ESteele

The staffers who work for the unemployment administration are not known for being that adept at uncovering potential fraud. They definitely will not be initiating criminal charges in all likelihood. While anything is possible, it is highly unlikely the unemployment staffers will discover your girlfriend’s accounting “sleight of hand.”

A couple of related questions: Did she earn the $22K as a “1099 Form” independent contractor (as opposed to a “W-2 Form” employee)? Had she worked side projects as an independent contractor during the time of her previous employment? If the answer to these questions are “yes,” then she may have otherwise been entitled to receive unemployment benefits irrespective of when she earned this independent contractor income. I know this is the case from a back pay calculation perspective. I think it is the same in an unemployment eligibility context. If, however, I am incorrect in this supposition, someone will undoubtedly point out the error shortly.

Again, you and your girlfriend certainly have more important things to concern yourself with than whether a remote prospect of her being “snake bit” down the road will ever manifest here. Enjoy the fact she earned a couple of dollars, got a new job and has otherwise appeared to have moved on. Stop worrying! (It never makes things better anyway.)

commentator

Right, ESteele, that's what I was just about to tell this person. It was a pretty sorry thing to do. But....the small freelance jobs...did they actually take up all her time, preclude her looking for work during the time she was doing them? In other words, was she working night and day, and actually not able, available and actively seeking other work? What I'm saying is that it's possible that she, since she was not doing actual work for wages, was not doing anything that was illegal for her to do.

On unemployment weekly certifications, the question is not "Did you make any money this week?" The question is something like "Did you do any work for wages (for which you are paid or will be paid) this week?" If the work she did was sort of an independent contractor, free lance projects kind of thing, and it did not entail going to work for set hours and working enough during the time that she was doing it that she would not have been able to accept other work if it was offered to her, and she still continued to be able and available and making her searches for other work, it very well may not have been considered work that would have disqualified her for wages.

For example, farmers who make and tend a crop and sell it while they are drawing unemployment are not considered to be working for wages and are not disqualified by this side work. Yard sales, one time projects, helping out friends for favors or services, pick up tasks, these do not tend to be disqualifying. Opening a yard mowing business full time is disqualifying.

The right thing for her to have done would have been to ask, as soon as she picked up that first freelance thing, to ask the unemployment system whether or not she should report this project as wages, as her working, if it needed to be reported. Possibly it wouldn't have been, because as I say over and over, unemployment insurance is not based on the income you make, but whether or not you are working for wages for a covered employer and are no longer able and available for work.

But there's a fair chance, given the details of the projects and such, that her not reporting this income as work done for wages was okay and she didn't really commit fraud.

If she had been working for wages for a covered employer, she'd have been caught almost immediately. If her 1099 happens to cross match with the unemployment system, which happens eventually this would, as you said, be covered by the fact that she reported it all as having been earned in the quarter when she was no longer drawing benefits. Being as it has been this long, and that she may or may not have actually done something fraudulent in the first place, I think she is going to be actually home free on this.

Someone might, and this is one of the ways people frequently get caught, someone might decide to turn her in for reasons of spite, for example, if the two of you broke up, you might call the unemployment fraud unit and try to report it on her, or if a jealous friend knows what she did, the unemployment system might get a report on it.

If this were to happen, frankly, it's such a grey thing I doubt if there would be much that would happen. The tax preparer is being a bit crooked by telling you how to get around it for sure, but it was certainly your girlfriend's decision and fault that it happened, not his. As I have said, she may not have been doing anything illegal after all was said and done, but by not asking about it, by attempting to conceal it, she took a dangerous step and an unwise one.

As to the question of whether it would effect her future U.I. claims, that shows you have no understanding at all of how U.I. works. Because nobody in the world cares how much income you have had in previous years when they are certifying you for unemployment, it's how much you have made in the past 18 months for covered employers. They do not use your income tax returns to determine this, but their own employer tax records. If you don't have those wages in place, you don't have unemployment to draw, regardless how bad you need it, and if you do have those wages in place, it doesn't matter how much other income you have or have made, if you are a trust funder, or your wife works and makes $80 million a year, it's not based on your income in any way, just that you have had covered wages in the quarters they're using to set up the claim. No way her income tax for 2010 is going to be looked at for unemployment purposes ever unless they were exploring whether she committed that fraud.

Last edited:

Tinkertron

Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I should have stated in my first post that I understand the gravity of what my girl did and that's why I am seeking advise about it. Being a free spirited person she does not worry about thing such as this - so I do it for her.

The various side jobs she took on that year actually came about as she was endlessly shooting inquiries out to all the contacts she had accumulated in her design career as an attempt to land a full time gig. Though no full time interviews ever panned out that year many offered "overflow work". So she gladly accepted while she continued her job search. Most of which were under the 1099 Form and some of which did not even bother with a form since the work was so sporadic. I was totally taken back when we tallied all her earnings from those little gigs at tax time.

Again, I fully understand what she did was absolutely in the wrong so I am trying my best to understand what might be in her future should this ever come to light or should she ever need unemployment again. I will definitely make a point to oversee her earnings should the latter ever happen again to avoid all this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">