• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody of my dog.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pink13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I am 16 years old, I had to move out of my home and into my grandparents house due to my stepfathers physical abuse. My parents won't give me my dog, that I rescued so I was wondering if I could have some advice on how to get custody of him.

Last edited:

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I am 16 years old, I had to move out of my home and into my grandparents house due to my stepfathers physical abuse. My parents won't give me my dog, that I rescued so I was wondering if I could have some advice on how to get custody of him.
You'll find that unless your name is on the registration or license for the dog, that you will have a difficult time proving that it belongs to you and not your parents. Legally, there wouldn't be much you could do to get it back.

Perhaps you can get your grandparents to intervene and try to help you get the dog back? Other than that, I can't say there would be much of a chance to recover the dog.

pink13

Even if I've had the dog for four years before they got him licensed? And how could my grandparents help me gain custody?

sandyclaus

Even if I've had the dog for four years before they got him licensed? And how could my grandparents help me gain custody?
If THEY have him licensed, then in the eyes of the law, it is THEIR dog, not yours.

Your grandparents could talk to them and see about getting the dog for you. But if your parents are set and still say NO, there is nothing you can do.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Additionally, dogs are not children - there is no such thing as custody of a pet. There is ownership. Dogs are, legally, no different than a piece of furniture.

pink13

Actually they are now considered to have the same value you of children. Ha. Theres pet custody battles all over the world.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Actually they are now considered to have the same value you of children. Ha. Theres pet custody battles all over the world.
Really? Please produce some sort of legal citation that pets are considered equal to children in YOUR state.

Pets are property. Unless you popped one out of your uterus. In which case, you'd be making scientific history and we would all know about it. :rolleyes:

And for Pro: :rolleyes:^nth degree

ETA: Of course, you could always speak with a local attorney. And what's a "broo"?

Last edited:

mistoffolees

Really? Please produce some sort of legal citation that pets are considered equal to children in YOUR state.

Pets are property. Unless you popped one out of your uterus. In which case, you'd be making scientific history and we would all know about it. :rolleyes:

And for Pro: :rolleyes:^nth degree

ETA: Of course, you could always speak with a local attorney. And what's a "broo"?
That's uneducated-ese for PBR. :rolleyes:

OP, if your grandparents are unable to get your mother and stepfather to give you your dog, head down to the local animal shelter. There are plenty of other pets who need homes. I know you'll miss your own dog, but if things are fragile enough with your mother and stepfather that you had to move out, you really don't want to add fuel to the fire.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
That's uneducated-ese for PBR. :rolleyes:

OP, if your grandparents are unable to get your mother and stepfather to give you your dog, head down to the local animal shelter. There are plenty of other pets who need homes. I know you'll miss your own dog, but if things are fragile enough with your mother and stepfather that you had to move out, you really don't want to add fuel to the fire.
I suspect an unemancipated minor will not be permitted to adopt a pet on their own.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
true, they could. And they could keep the dog when she decides they're not nice either.

Seriously, pink... If the abuse is real, perhaps you should go to the cops or CPS or talk to your HS guidance counselor instead of worrying about the dog or your hair straightener.

pink13

I am worried about my dog & hair straightner. CPS is already investigating, & most likely he will go to jail. But why should I have to loose everything I have because I have a terrible step dad. I worked hard to come up with the money for that straightner & my dog means the world to me. Yea it may sound ridiculous, but I do consider pets family. Would you just leave your child behind? Nope, hopefully you wouldnt, & I'm not gonna leave my dog behind either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">