• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

visitation rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

siterock

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I was divorced roughly 12 years ago. My ex-wife was given full custody, I was required to start paying child support, and given reasonable visitation rights.

About 3 years ago, my ex told me that she was moving 3 hours away to a different state with my daughter, who is now 13. She did this without notifying the State, using her mother's local address to conceal it. I didn't put up a fight because she assured me I would see my kid just as much as before, since her new boyfriend has kids who live here. It wasn't long before that situation changed, and if I wanted to see my daughter I had to make the drive there and back.

About two months ago, my daughter told me that she didn't consider me her dad anymore, and that I should not try to contact her. I have let it go for a while, but I'm tired of being misused. I have no contact with either my daughter or her mother. I still pay child support. What I want to do is force my daughter to spend time with me despite what she said, with the intention of eventually healing the breach.

What can I do??
Thanks in advance for your time.

CSO286

I was divorced roughly 12 years ago. My ex-wife was given full custody, I was required to start paying child support, and given reasonable visitation rights.

About 3 years ago, my ex told me that she was moving 3 hours away to a different state with my daughter, who is now 13. She did this without notifying the State, using her mother's local address to conceal it. I didn't put up a fight because she assured me I would see my kid just as much as before, since her new boyfriend has kids who live here. It wasn't long before that situation changed, and if I wanted to see my daughter I had to make the drive there and back.

About two months ago, my daughter told me that she didn't consider me her dad anymore, and that I should not try to contact her. I have let it go for a while, but I'm tired of being misused. I have no contact with either my daughter or her mother. I still pay child support. What I want to do is force my daughter to spend time with me despite what she said, with the intention of eventually healing the breach.

What can I do??
File for an enforceable visitation schedule.

Start here: http://www.in.gov/judiciary/selfservice/]courts.IN.gov: Self-Service Legal Center

LdiJ

What can I do??
I agree that you should file for an enforceable visitation schedule. However, I would also recommend that you remember that at age 13 most kids care much more about spending time with their friends, than spending time with their family. If you keep that in mind, you will be less disappointed if she doesn't respond as quickly as you would like, to healing the breach.

3 hours is close enough that at least one weekend a month is possible and maybe even every other weekend if you can convince a judge to order mom to meet you have way. Consider occasionally letting your daughter invite a friend along for the weekend.

mistoffolees

I agree that you should file for an enforceable visitation schedule. However, I would also recommend that you remember that at age 13 most kids care much more about spending time with their friends, than spending time with their family. If you keep that in mind, you will be less disappointed if she doesn't respond as quickly as you would like, to healing the breach.
That may be true, but with "About two months ago, my daughter told me that she didn't consider me her dad anymore, and that I should not try to contact her. " there's clearly more going on than typical teenage angst.

ecmst12

Sounds pretty typical to me, at least for divorced parents. Lots of teenagers say stuff like that to the parents they live with, too. But if OP has been letting things go for the past 12 years only seeing the child sporadically, maybe she has good reason to be annoyed. Either way, a court ordered visitation schedule can't be argued with, so you can make her visit you whether she likes it or not. Just be prepared for her to not like it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">