• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

visitation of a child of whom I am not the biological father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tratlewis

Is it possible for me to get visitation of a child of whom I am not the biological father. I stepped in as the child's father Her biological father has never been in her life and she knows me as her daddy her father. I have been helping her mother take care of her before birth and now she is 5 and the mother and I are longer together and she has been keeping me away from her. Are there any steps so that I can at lest get to see my baby. While we were together the mother always said that I could see the child if we ever broke up now that day as come and guess what happened.

Last edited:

Proserpina

I live in California. I am a disabled 28 year old man with Cerebral palsy please help!!! Is it possible for me to get visitation of a child of whom I am not the biological father. I stepped in as the child's father Her biological father has never been in her life and she knows me as her daddy her father. I have been helping her mother take care of her before birth and now she is 5 and the mother and I are longer together and she has been keeping me away from her. Are there any steps so that I can at lest get to see my baby. While we were together the mother always said that I could see the child if we ever broke up now that day as come and guess what happened.

Who is the child's legal father?

Where is the biological father?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in California. I am a disabled 28 year old man with Cerebral palsy please help!!! Is it possible for me to get visitation of a child of whom I am not the biological father. I stepped in as the child's father Her biological father has never been in her life and she knows me as her daddy her father. I have been helping her mother take care of her before birth and now she is 5 and the mother and I are longer together and she has been keeping me away from her. Are there any steps so that I can at lest get to see my baby. While we were together the mother always said that I could see the child if we ever broke up now that day as come and guess what happened.
Why did you lie to this child?

Unless it is now possible to alter a human's DNA, you did not step in as the child's father. What you did was lie to a child that you have no legal ties to. This is not your baby. Now a 5 year old little girl will get a very nasty surprise, that her daddy is not her daddy at all.

Nonparent Visitation (Grandparents And Others)

California law confers discretion on the court to grant "reasonable visitation" rights "to any other person [a nonparent] having an interest in the welfare of the child." [Ca Fam § 3100(a) --"reasonable visitation may be ordered to any other person . . ." (emphasis added); Barkaloff v. Woodward (1996) 47 Cal.App.4th 393, 398, 55 Cal.Rptr.2d 167, 170]

However, this right is limited. Parents have a 14th Amendment substantive due process "fundamental right" (a "liberty interest") to make decisions concerning the care, custody and control of their children. A state law that, as applied, allows trial courts to grant nonparent visitation rights over a parent's objection whenever the court determines such visitation may serve the child's best interest, unconstitutionally infringes on that right. [Troxel v. Granville (2000) 530 U.S. 57, 65-70, 120 S.Ct. 2054, 2060-2062 (invalidating application of Wash. statute authorizing grandparent visitation solely on "best interest" showing]

Therefore nonparent visitation rights in a case contested by a parent may constitutionally be granted only if, in applying the state statute, the trial court gives a presumption of validity or at least special weight to the parent's decision that the visitation would not be in the child's best interest. A court decision effectively presuming the opposite (that third party visitation should be granted absent a showing the child would be adversely impacted) directly contravenes the traditional (substantive due process) presumption that a fit parent will act in the child's best interest.

With regard to grandparents seeking visitation, parents' due process right to make decisions concerning their children's care, custody and control does not necessarily preclude a court from granting the nonparent visitation over the objection of a "fit" parent or parents. "The decision of fit parents regarding grandparent visitation is entitled to special weight, but not necessarily immunity from judicial review." [Fenn v. Sherriff (2003) 109 Cal.App.4th 1466, 1484-1485, 1 Cal.Rptr.3d 185, 200]

"If a court can deprive fit parents of the custody of their children without violating the parents' fundamental right to the care, custody, and control of their children, then certainly a court can order grandparent visitation--a much more limited form of interference with the parents' custodial rights--without necessarily causing such a violation." [Fenn v. Sherriff, supra, 109 Cal.App.4th at 1486, 1 Cal.Rptr.3d at 201]

The noncustodial parent-petitioner, and not a contesting parent, must carry the burden of proof in these cases--i.e., demonstrating "special factors" that would warrant state interference with the parent's decision on the matter. [Troxel v. Granville, supra, 530 U.S. at 67-70, 120 S.Ct. at 2061-2062]

ecmst12

Your ONLY hope of getting visitation is with a lawyer. And it's not a sure thing. But it's not something you'd even have a chance with, without one.

mistoffolees

Your ONLY hope of getting visitation is with a lawyer. And it's not a sure thing. But it's not something you'd even have a chance with, without one.
I agree, but even with an attorney, OP's best chance is if he can reach an agreement with Mom. I would suggest a little cooling off period and then ask Mom to have a discussion about visitation. OP should NOT be talking about his desire to see the child. Rather, the discussion should be about what's best for the child. If Mom agrees, it's easy.

LdiJ

I agree, but even with an attorney, OP's best chance is if he can reach an agreement with Mom. I would suggest a little cooling off period and then ask Mom to have a discussion about visitation. OP should NOT be talking about his desire to see the child. Rather, the discussion should be about what's best for the child. If Mom agrees, it's easy.
I agree that it would be best to get mom to agree to allow him time with the child.

However, I do have to say that never, even before Troxel, did I ever see a case, in any state except WA, where someone who was not married to the parent, or who was not related to the child, was ever successful in obtaining visitation. Even in WA, with their breathtakingly broad statute (the one that Troxel and the WA supreme court struck down), we saw lots of suits from non-related parties prior to Troxel, but no more than a handful that ever succeeded, and that handful were all plaintiffs who had a ton of money to burn.

I cannot imagine someone winning a suit today that was a non-parent, non-related party.

mistoffolees

I agree that it would be best to get mom to agree to allow him time with the child.

However, I do have to say that never, even before Troxel, did I ever see a case, in any state except WA, where someone who was not married to the parent, or who was not related to the child, was ever successful in obtaining visitation. Even in WA, with their breathtakingly broad statute (the one that Troxel and the WA supreme court struck down), we saw lots of suits from non-related parties prior to Troxel, but no more than a handful that ever succeeded, and that handful were all plaintiffs who had a ton of money to burn.

I cannot imagine someone winning a suit today that was a non-parent, non-related party.
That is not correct. Courts have awarded visitation to gay partners where one partner is the parent and the other partner is unrelated in any way.

Just one quick example:
Arizona Domestic Partner Child Custody Attorney | Arizona Same Sex Parents Lawyer | Tempe AZ Mesa Glendale Scottsdale Chandler Tucson
Although Arizona recognizes neither the right of same sex partners to marry nor the right of gay or lesbian partners to adopt a child together, under certain circumstances the nonparental partner of a gay or lesbian couple can assert a right to child visitation if the domestic partnership breaks up.
Or maybe this one:
Ark. Grants Child Visitation for Ex-Partner | News | The Advocate
Though the state does not grant marriage rights to same-sex couples, the court justices ruled in a 5-2 vote that Emily Jones was entitled to visitation with the child, though she is not the biological parent.

Still holding out for May Day as the date when you finally get something right.

LdiJ

That is not correct. Courts have awarded visitation to gay partners where one partner is the parent and the other partner is unrelated in any way.

Just one quick example:
Arizona Domestic Partner Child Custody Attorney | Arizona Same Sex Parents Lawyer | Tempe AZ Mesa Glendale Scottsdale Chandler Tucson

Or maybe this one:
Ark. Grants Child Visitation for Ex-Partner | News | The Advocate

Still holding out for May Day as the date when you finally get something right.
Ok, you are correct, there have been some circumstances related to gay parenting that fall outside of the norm. Those are circumstances where the two parties would have both been equal parents had the law allowed for that to be possible. Where the parties had the child with the intent to be equal parents. I have never regarded that kind of circumstance as a third party suit...and statutorily many (maybe most) states don't include that under third party statutes. There are separate statutes for that.

What we are talking about here however is circumstances where the two parties could have gotten married and the non-parent could have adopted the child and become an equal parent...and the parties chose not to make that commitment. Or, cases where a "partner" is not involved at all...its a completely different third party.

That is exactly the type of law that Troxel struck down.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am curious. What does your disease have to do with a custody battle?
He mentioned that for the sympathy "points" he thought it would gain him.

Ummm, yeah. No sympathy. In fact, his disability could HURT him if he tried to sue for THIRD PARTY visitation.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ok, you are correct, there have been some circumstances related to gay parenting that fall outside of the norm. Those are circumstances where the two parties would have both been equal parents had the law allowed for that to be possible. Where the parties had the child with the intent to be equal parents. I have never regarded that kind of circumstance as a third party suit...and statutorily many (maybe most) states don't include that under third party statutes. There are separate statutes for that.
Wrong. There are NOT separate statutes for that. At least not that I have found. I know of many states that DO NOT have any statutes for that. Let alone separate statutes. And this client is in CA. Does CA have separate statutes?

What we are talking about here however is circumstances where the two parties could have gotten married and the non-parent could have adopted the child and become an equal parent...and the parties chose not to make that commitment. Or, cases where a "partner" is not involved at all...its a completely different third party.

That is exactly the type of law that Troxel struck down.
No, it is not EXACTLY the type of law that Troxel struck down. Troxel dealt with visitation of GRANDPARENTS. That is EXACTLY what Troxel dealt with. OP is NOT a grandparent. Troxel did not deal with exactly this cas. Troxel dealt with grandparents wanting visitation. OP is NOT a grandparent. He MIGHT have de facto parent standing (doubt it but he COULD) and Troxel did NOT deal with that.

LdiJ

Wrong. There are NOT separate statutes for that. At least not that I have found. I know of many states that DO NOT have any statutes for that. Let alone separate statutes. And this client is in CA. Does CA have separate statutes?

No, it is not EXACTLY the type of law that Troxel struck down. Troxel dealt with visitation of GRANDPARENTS. That is EXACTLY what Troxel dealt with. OP is NOT a grandparent. Troxel did not deal with exactly this cas. Troxel dealt with grandparents wanting visitation. OP is NOT a grandparent. He MIGHT have de facto parent standing (doubt it but he COULD) and Troxel did NOT deal with that.
You might want to re-read Troxel. Yes, it was the Troxels (the grandparents) that took it to the USSC, but the WA Supreme Court ruling that the USSC upheld in Troxel involved a combined case of multiple lower court cases. IL did the same thing the first time they ruled that their gpv statutes were unconstitutional.

The USSC addressed the issue of the "breathtakingly broad" statute in their decision.

Here is a snippet:

In affirming, the State Supreme Court held, inter alia, that §26.10.160(3) unconstitutionally infringes on parents’ fundamental right to rear their children. Reasoning that the Federal Constitution permits a State to interfere with this right only to prevent harm or potential harm to the child, it found that §26.10.160(3) does not require a threshold showing of harm and sweeps too broadly by permitting any person to petition at any time with the only requirement being that the visitation serve the best interest of the child.

Held: The judgment is affirmed.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You might want to re-read Troxel. Yes, it was the Troxels (the grandparents) that took it to the USSC, but the WA Supreme Court ruling that the USSC upheld in Troxel involved a combined case of multiple lower court cases. IL did the same thing the first time they ruled that their gpv statutes were unconstitutional.

The USSC addressed the issue of the "breathtakingly broad" statute in their decision.

Here is a snippet:
OP is NOT a grandparent. He MIGHT qualify as a de facto parent. THEREFORE it is NOT EXACTLY the same. Though you are in your own little world and might lump it all together. Even though it is different.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">