• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant vs Tenant (When to call the police)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I have lived in government/county apartment housing for 10 years and mostly peace and quiet. But no matter where you live, even in a cul-de-sac of houses, you'll get noisy neighbors.

We of course tried to accept/ignore those types, even brief outside communication. But when your walls are pretty much paper/card board thin and can hear there arguments, loud tv, and "bedroom noise" at all hours/either walking up your own stairs or "sitting on your couch-10+ feet away" you end up hearing/learning more about these "strangers" FAR MORE than you wanna know.

We even learned and had realized they are breaking apartment rules by having/multiple animals and causing internal damage.

When we did see them outside, we had VERY brief conversation and as much as we should have told/ask them to knock off the noise...We did want to speak with them, get to know them...What we learned about them well I ended up describing as "The Brady Bunch outside/Ike & Tina Turner Inside".

Finally, we knew they were evading bi-yearly apt inspections by removing the animal violations over night then returning them. I hand delivered a paper of the multiple problems and informed management they are costing you money and need to do a surprise inspection. That finally happened. ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE That day. But they were informed by apt management it was who it was us who reported them. That had to be wrong/illegal.

They were eventually evicted on all counts, and took a week to move out. But afterward and now its heaven. Peace and quiet. We were afraid to come out of our own apartment, because like I described they acted like the Brady Bunch outside and told tenants were the trouble makers. That isnt so now...We talk to our neighbors and corrected issues.

Apartment management told me "call the police" (in the first place) if you have a problem with neighbor.....PROBLEM WITH THAT IS...You make an enemy. Especially the face when there is no neighbor on either side of you or them...Talking out the problems? We didnt wanna speak or look at them...We would them the neighbors from hell. We all get them...I could write a movie script on them and wish the worst possible ending for them. They are gone but what do you do-when you dont wanna the police involved and management wont do anything unless there is physical damage or lease violations.

cyjeff

I never understand posts like this.

You have a problem with a neighbor. Those problems rise to the level of criminal activity.

the poster doesn't want to call the police and asks us what can be done.

If you aren't going to call the police, NOTHING can be done. did you think we are coming over to take care of the problem? Call the police or don't. But if you don't, don't complain that it isn't getting better.

FarmerJ

When a LL wants to evict for reasons other than non pay they really have to have proof , if you call the police about disturbances like noise late at night a report is generated that the LL can later use as part basis for eviction. Your free to tell your LL that it was not very professional of them to tell another tenant who had complained.

convoy71

When a LL wants to evict for reasons other than non pay they really have to have proof , if you call the police about disturbances like noise late at night a report is generated that the LL can later use as part basis for eviction. Your free to tell your LL that it was not very professional of them to tell another tenant who had complained.
The neighbors were evicted. The proof was discovered upon the surprise inspection we influenced. The property manager made a very rare appearance (she only appeared onsite 3-4 times in the 10 years we lived here...So for her to knock on your door...YOUR IN TROUBLE)

The non police situation is because as I mentioned, having incredibly thin walls, so we learned alot about them...Things we didn't/shouldn't have never learned or wanted to hear. For instance he has a brief criminal past and violently verbal and violent inside the apt (as I described Ike & Tina Turner). So calling the police would be "our word against there's" that creates an enemy.

My original question is "when do you call the police vs an apt neighbor". Noise, foul language, anything via sound is there word against ours. As to physical violence on human body or structure of apartment is either visible to police or reported by neighbor themselves. To explain the neighbors in more detail would take a book/movie script. I was concerned for the my family and I safety.

When I approached the LL first thing she said was to call the police, I was more concerned of safety and ounce of proof to law enforcement.

FarmerJ

the animal violation was likely the one that did it and gave them what they needed, If the LL didnt find rover/ kitty that day then the LL would have needed more than that to get them out. As far as your LL goes like I said earlier , Your free to tell your LL that the former tenant told you that the LL said you had complained so they knew it was you and that it is not very professional of them to tell another tenant whom it was that had complained.

convoy71

the animal violation was likely the one that did it and gave them what they needed, If the LL didnt find rover/ kitty that day then the LL would have needed more than that to get them out. As far as your LL goes like I said earlier , Your free to tell your LL that the former tenant told you that the LL said you had complained so they knew it was you and that it is not very professional of them to tell another tenant whom it was that had complained.
It was both, animal and damage to apartment to was cause of eviction. Here you must have a pet sticker on your front door, which costs $75, and $50 annual fee(also add only 1 small animal permitted). There is a bi-yearly inspection. We receive written notice of inspection about 1-2 weeks before hand. We witnessed them removing then "animals" over night then returning them following inspection. But besides that I described the male tenant was verbally and physically violent to female and apartment.

We heard this so consistent that when maintenance was working there today, I described where each repair was...Yes they were surprised.

When the LL apparently informed them, they became verbal with us (foul language) on a few occasions. BUT THIS IS WHERE MY QUESTION IS.

I hate to defend them, but Freedom of Speech includes threats, and without police present its my word against there's.

When/how do police deal with a tenant vs tenant dispute when its verbal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">